Hoping to find a group of tissue valvers that had there surgery done in the 35-45yr

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris.c

Surgery is set for September 26th and i am going with a tissue valve unless the DR finds another reason why i would be on coumadin anyway. I am 41 years old. My question is: How long has your tissue valve lasted for those who had it done in your late 30's early 40's? Also there is talk about longer lasting tissue valves, is this from new technology and what are these longer lasting valves (which type should i request for better chance of longevity)?

Chris,

I received a Carpentier Edwards PERIMOUNT bovine pericardial tissue aortic valve at the age of 41. My valve lasted eight years before it calcified and failed. I had it replaced with an On-X mechanical aortic valve 7 weeks ago. When I had my first surgery, we were hoping for 10-15 years. The longevity of my valve was shorter than average even when you consider my age. We don't know why my body calcified it quicker than average so we assumed the same thing would happen again and went with the mechanical valve this time. I've read somewhere that Edwards is testing a newer tissue preservation technique (newer than XenoLogiX) that promises to last longer but it's still in development. If you're in the 35-45 year age group, I would not expect any tissue valve to last as long as you do. You'll either choose a tissue valve and plan to have another surgery in 10-15 years or choose a mechanical valve and plan to be on anticoagulants for the rest of your life. As you know, it's a tough decision and there is not yet a perfect solution. I've had both kinds of valves and have found both kinds to be very good solutions. If you don't mind having more than one surgery, the tissue valve followed by the mechanical valve has worked out fine so far for me.

I'm 39 and had a Medtronic Mosaic Porcine valve implanted to replace my tricuspid valve -my surgeon's preference, for hemodynamic reasons. The longevity of this valve is expected to be greater than average because it's on the right side of my heart, where the pressures are much lower. A mechanical valve is not a favoured option in this position, as those same low pressures require a higher INR value to be maintained.

I had my surgery at the Royal Brompton Hospital in London, which is at the forefront percutaneous valve implantation via the femoral artery or the ventricular apex. They're not using this technique in many younger patients yet and I had OHS on this occasion. However, I was assured that however long my current valve lasts, my next replacement will be done via the percutaneous method and that can be done as many times as is necessary. Obviously, that depends on me going to the same hospital too.

The valve choice decision is a difficult one, but to a certain extent it was taken out of my hands. I don't envy those who have a less clear cut decision!

Back