Home Testing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tom Harrison

Am starting to look at the possibility of buying a home test system. Read some old threads that talked about Coaguchek being no longer available for home use. However their web site still talks about home testing. Is their product available or not??? Are there any other systems(in addition to Pro Time)??
People seem split on these two systems, some preferring the Coag some the Protime. Are they comparable in price?

Hi Tom

Hi Tom

I think the coagchek may be a little less money. On the other hand, the PT dealership goes to bat for you to get your insurance carrier to approve it. How it ends up after insurance payment is beyond me.Chris

Lovin' our Protime

Lovin' our Protime

Tom,

We ended up getting the Protime system recently and enjoy having the independence here at home. The Coaguchek is still available for home by Roche. We got ours quickly-less than 3 weeks. I worked with Greg Fross at QAS in getting things done. He seeemd effecient.

wife of Nascar fan :)

Tom,

I've asked some of your questions before, and the answers seem hard to come by. I've been looking into getting my own unit as well, although not very quickly. The following is what I have learned, and none of it is definite.

There are only two units available, Coaguchek and Pro-Time.

Coaguchek from Roche costs $1295 plus $300 training.

As far I can tell, QAS (Pro-Time) will deal with the insurance company for you, while Coaguchek leaves you on your own.

Coaguchek, which is used by the coumadin clinic I go to, requires only a drop of blood; there are some references to Pro-Time requiring some kind of a cupful of blood.

There are very, very, very strong emotions among some people about these two machines, and some people are very easily offended even to hear that there are two different machines.

Please forgive me in advance if I've offended anyone. I just want information.

Jim, I'll answer this with 2 posts from Michele at QAS:

Hi all,

Michele from QAS here. If someone is interested in the ProTime monitor. All they have to do is give me a call at 1-800-298-4515, x2616 we get your doctor's information from you, your insurance information and then fax over to your doctor all the appropriate forms that are needed to get an approval for you from your insurance. We will even work on an appeals process for you if your insurance is denied. That's what we call "One-Stop" shopping. Thanks.

There are some definite differences between the ProTime and the other monitor you asked about. Our machine has an ISI of 1.0 - theirs is 2.04. We use human thromboplastin as our chemical reagent - they use rabbit thromboplastin. Our controls are built right in to our testing strips - with theirs you have to use high and low wet controls and use three test strips each time you run a test.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Pro Time (1st time user)

Pro Time (1st time user)

I just received my new machine and have used it once. I found it to be very easy to use. The amount of blood that was needed also concerned me when selecting a home monitoring system. What I have found out is that the Pro Time now being sold needs enough blood to fill up 3 channels. Earlier machines were called 5/3 channels. Maybe the older machines required more blood. This is something we need to ask a Protime Rep. I have only used it once, but it seems to me only one, maybe two large drops were needed. The most difficult thing for me was to stick my own finger. Eventually I pushed the trigger after four attempts. To my surprise there was no pain. I thought the finger stick did not work. I used a few other techniques that allows blood to be obtained easily, unlike the techniques previously used in the office. If I can be of any help, please let me know.

:) nascarfan(BobbyD)

ProTime Monitor

ProTime Monitor

The older machine of the ProTime (the ProTime 5) had five channels in the cuvette which required 3 drops of blood.

The newer version, the ProTime 3 has three channels in the cuvette. All controls are on-board and you only need one healthy drop of blood to run the test. Training is included in the sales price and we will file for your insurance at no charge.

If anyone is interested in pursuing getting a ProTime monitor please call me directly at 1-800-298-4515, x 2616. Thanks.

Home test

Home test

Ross, et. al
You guys are a wealth of information. I have been all over the web looking for this stuff. Thanks!! Will be calling Michelle in the near future!
mindy

Coaguchek System vs. QAS Protime System

Coaguchek System vs. QAS Protime System

Here's what I know about it.

First of all, I'm back in the game! Through the advice of my caring Human Resources manager, I have just submitted another insurance claim for a Personal Protime system. I had given up last year due to insurance denial, and besides my Cardio nurse was doing a fine job with my venous draws.

I now have a new insurance carrier and trying again. Fingers are crossed and waiting for their first "stick!"

Well, wouldn't you know it?! My Cardio's office recently stopped doing blood draws! I decided I have had enough of seeing so many different labs over the last 3 years.

Just this week I submitted a 1/2" thick, 3-ring binder with at least 8 tab-divided sections containing relevant information such as medical records, a copy of my St. Jude ID card and Medic Alert cards, plenty of Coumadin information, past blood lab invoices (showing cost of $50 per test vs. QAS's $12.00), and my doc's signed prescription and letter of medical necessity. A long introductory personal cover letter was also included.

I utilized QAS's forms (downloadable PDF on their website), however I personally submitted all the documentation vs. having QAS do so.

As far as a Coguchek vs. the QAS, I spoke with Jim Hanson (Hanson Medical Systems) who explained to me that the newest Coaguchek's were not available for personal sale. Hanson sells both QAS and Coaguchek systems. At this time Coaguchek's are only available to professionals, however he mentioned some get through the cracks and are being used by individuals. He did indicate that the FDA is currently reviewing Coagucheck's personal use status. Well, I'm not waiting for the FDA! The Coaguchek's are a little less expensive, however as others have said before me, training does not come with it, nor do they have the insurance support that QAs offers.

Fingers are still crossed and waiting for their first "stick!" Will celebrate (hopefully) soon.

Regards,

Latest posts

Back