Home Testing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Don Giaquinto

I'm new to this INR testing and wondered what you folks out there think about home testing. I saw one tester that was $2,300! I haven't investigated the insurance covering it but I don't think that it will be an easy sell.

Anyway, input on this would be appreciated.

Don G

Don,
Contact QAS. They will help you look into the insurance coverage issue. You never know. I was totally surprised when I found out my health insurance co. covered 100% of the machine cost because it was not very good insurance prior to that.

If you can get one, I'd surely recommend it. Having it gives you much more control over your own INR, plus it's much better then being stuck with a needle all the time. ;)

Don, I have been thinking of getting my own monitor for awhile. After having quite a swing in my INR while away on vacation for 2 weeks, I decided to do something about it. I called my insurance Co. Tufts- and they will cover it 100% for the monitor and the supplies. I wanted to use QAS, but the insurance co will only cover it from another Company that is more local. I had to change PCP and saw my new one for the first time. She was receptive to the idea and called the coumadin clinic nurse up. It seems no one else that goes to this group has their own monitor. I gave them the info and should hear from someone shortly.
Kathy H

Don Giaquinto said:
I'm new to this INR testing and wondered what you folks out there think about home testing. I saw one tester that was $2,300! I haven't investigated the insurance covering it but I don't think that it will be an easy sell.

Don G
Hello Don G.

My recently purchased Coaguchek S, (the only one I could find in Ontario) the cost was $1500. Cdn. This included the monitor, electronic quality control machine a box of the liquid control solutions hospital training and, of course, all the taxes. My insurance doesn't cover it.

Home Testing

Thanks to those of you who took the time for your opinion on the home testing. I have B/C, B/S as my insurance and I will contact them for more information.

I can see that the monitering of my INR is going to be important to my staying active. Right now, one month and one day post op, I don't feel like I ever will be back to normal but, I'm trying to be positive. The healing of the sternum is the biggest concern as many of you know. Right now this thing gets sore and tight by the end of the day.

Anyway, thanks again.

Don G

Your sternum is going to be the last thing to heal. In about 4 months, you won't notice it at all. Physically, in another 4 weeks I'll bet your feeling pretty darn good. Slow and easy gets it with this surgery. Try to do too much too fast and you get slammed down hard.

Don:
Four years ago my husband purchased a ProTime monitor from QAS. At the time, Medicare did not cover home testing. We paid for the machine ourselves and continue to pay for supplies. It was a huge expenditure to us, which really hurt our budget. But, the security that it brought over the past four years makes it all worth it. Talk to the folks at QAS. The will work with you.
Blanche

Blanche---I hope you do know that Medicare now pays for the Machine/Instrument and supplies for those of us that have mechancal valves implanted. You receive 12 weeks of supplies at a time and must test once per week. You then have to call in the results to QAS. If you are out of your INR range as specified by your doctor, QAS will contact your doctor to adjust your dosage. I've yet to have my doctor adjust my dosage, as I've always been within my range which is 3.0 to 4.0. I do make minor changes (1 mg/wk) myself if I run high (or low) for several weeks in a row. I've yet to figure out QAS's billing procedure, but 12 weeks of testing material costs me less than $6.00 ($0.50/wk), after payment (and discount ) by Medicare and payment by my secondary insurance. :) I had purchased my own "Protime" instrument, but I got a new one paid for by Medicare. It actually belongs to QAS and must be returned upon my death. :-( Regards, Sierra Bob

Thank you for the information

Thank you for the information

Sierra Bob:
Appreciate your explanation. It does help to get assistance from one who is already using the service. You were one of the first people who answered my first post on this board in 2001. It was a great help then and you are a great help now.

So far we have been paying for the supplies for the ProTime. Should we go the Medicare route, our secondary would not pick up any of the cost. So, we will continue along as we have been....but, it is expensive. It may be for the better. We have had many problems with Medicare and with the suppliement, which is provided by Al's former employer. The supplement is administered by an office in India. They can't understand me and I don't understand them. So far this year alone I have faxed at least 9 appeals ( four were for me, as I am covered as a dependent) and have yet to hear about half of them. Things are running smoothly, so we will continue as we have. But, should Al's ProTime monitor need replacing, you have given us something important to consider.

Many thanks,
Blanche

Don - If you can swing it, I'd heartily recommend home testing. I've been doing it for about two years now and it saves me a twenty minute drive to town (One way) and a lot of time waiting. My cardio/ son-in-law was totally in favor of approving it, and I feel like I'm in control. I do email each test result to my coumadin lab but they have never seen fit to overrule my self dosing recommendations. I initially spent a lot of time figuring out all the interactivity issues with Coumadin/Warfarin and feel pretty comfortable now with the whole process. Some people have problems with variable INRs but mine seems to be pretty reliable and I can sleep at nite knowing that my next test won't be too far off the mark. Be wary of new drugs, and be wary of an inconsistant diet or exercise program - they can affect your INR. There are some good web sites to help you including our very own AL. Hope this helps - chris

Don Giaquinto said:

Don G

Don,
I have BC/BS also...and they paid 100% of mine...check into it...I just received the confirmation last Friday....takes about 2-3 weeks....I would go thru QAS....they were really helpful with me...I didn't have to do anything...they did all the 'leg' work...although I had to show what an INratio was to my doc....he didn't know people could home test....he still wants to help me with my INR and I feel better with him helping me....I just like the idea of not having a vein puncture and getting bruised up....

Latest posts

Back