Home Testing - Where to start ?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctyguy

I've been going to the coumadin clinic once a month to test. Seems Im always in range and the doc at the clinic said that I am one of the few patients they have that is on coumadin and nothing else. Not a big big deal getting there but it can be a pain at times depending on my work schedule. Also it seems silly because they charge my insurance about $150 a pop for the test. And every 6 months I have a doctor "visit" which consists of a 5 min "how you doin" chat and then they charge the insurance like $300.

Home Testing will save my insurance some money in the long run but how do I get started ? I was told I need a perscription from a doc for the testing kit ? Any of you home testers want to share with me how you got going initially ?

Thanks !

Good morning Scott,
First you will need a prescription for your monitor. From what I've learned here, over the phone training is offered by the manufacturer of the unit you choose. I was trained in a hospital because the monitors had only neen recently approved when I bought my first one. My XS came with a very informative disc illustrating technique but I was again trained at the hospital. Can't praise home testing enough--convenient, easy, users stay in their range a greater percent of the time.:) and results are almost instantaneous. It doesn't get any better. You will be satisfied with home testing no matter which product you choose.
Cheers

Scott, I've posted this several times and just now copied for you. Use the link Ross has provided since my link hooks you up with only the CoaguChek machine. I dealt with Brandi solely through e-mails, so no phone wait time.

For quick and efficient results: I downloaded the Patient Information Sheet from QAS website, filled it out and faxed it to Brandi at 407-902-2780 and she took it from there. Several of us on here went through Brandi and she gets the job done..!!

Here's the form: http://www.qualityassuredservices.co...oche_rxlmn.pdf

And here's her contact information:
Brandi L. Thrailkill
Quality Assured Service, Inc.
Customer Service/Special Accounts
70 South Keller Road
Orlando, FL 32810
1.800.298.4515 ext: 2823
407.902.2780 - fax
[email protected]

I know you will be so happy when you finally get your monitor. The process of obtaining one is not that complicated especially if you have your cardio's full support behind you.

I got my monitor from QAS three years ago right before I had to go in for my 3rd OHS because I knew I could not handle having to go to the lab every week or so, as I had been doing for 31 years!!!

A technician came to my house & demonstrated the machine to me & had me to a test & I was all set up!!!

Good luck & I hope you get set up very soon! :)

you guys rock, thanks for the info. Im off from Monday on through the end of the year and this was one of the things I wanted to get the ball rolling on this. I don't mind going to a clinic but it can be a hassle at times.

I can't even begin to imagine doing that, I only did it for 3 months or so, and that was more than enough for me! :)

After AVR, we traveled cross country in a motorhome for several years. I had a prescription from my cardiologist for any hospital lab to run INR and give me the results. Having to find the hospital in every new town and having to wait was a little of a hassle. But been a snap for the last 12 years for we live within 3 miles of the doctors office.
The BIG thing I like about home testing is that I'm in full control and test every week.

Scott, good luck with home testing. You'll never be sorry.

Back