hiking advice

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes

greetings all outdoor enthusiasts! I'm about one month Post Op and was wondering when most of you resumed your alpine pursuits after surgery. Should I wait until the sternum heals a little more before meandering into the wilderness? How demanding (on the heart) is hiking anyway? I'm itching to climb up a few hills to check out the autumn colors in all their glory. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

YOU sound really good but it's probly a bit early to be hiking. our athletes will be along in a while to give you their experiences. IMHO, you should still be just walking close to home. blessins..........

Are you starting a cardiac rehab program? I waited to do anything too strenuous until I was in the rehab class. It was reassuring to have their advice and monitoring.:cool:

Gday,

I work at Geelong Grammar Timbertop as a teacher and we hike every week with the kids for three days. 5 weeks after my mv repair using robotic surgery I was hiking in the Victorian High country - at times when I over did it I got dizzy and tired but I soon go used to it. 7 Months out I now do the toughest hike routes with full pack and I am fine. I am sure just to trudge along but I can go witht he kids in the front groups and we go up to 2200m above sea level. I find the hiking really helps my running and mountain biking. Get out there and enjoy it.

Cheers
Stevo

Fellow Backpacker

Fellow Backpacker

Wes,

I went on my high altitude backpacking trip (camped at 9,000ft. hiked to 10,500ft.) about 13 months after surgery. I am 50 and I could have gone sooner, but I am glad that I waited a few extra months. I would err on the the safe side and definitely not try much before six months. I was snowboarding at six months, but it is not as strenuous as backpacking. There is no need to push it, there is a big difference after the one year mark. I did notice that I did not have the as much difficulty with the altitude as I did before my surgery, a welcome improvement. Good luck and TAKE IT EASY!

If you feel ready, DO IT!!!

If you feel ready, DO IT!!!

Wes,

Read my post about my 10 mile hike 5 1/2 weeks post op.

http://valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22307

After that hike I did at least 3 other 9-11 miles hikes during the following month or so. If you feel ready DO IT!! it's the best therapy there is:D .

I was walking 4-6 miles five to six days per week prior to my extended hikes. Today, at 13 1/2 weeks post op, I played touch football for an hour and a half, soaked in the hot tub for an hour, then I went on a 3-4 mile hike with 800 feet elevation gain straight up-no trail. I am very tired now, old muscles, but the ticker is as healthy as ever.

I was/am a pretty avid hiker as I was at the time of my surgery. The first real hike I did post-op was about 9 miles with around 1500ft of elevation gain at around three months. I believe the real danger is only overdoing it and exausting yourself. I had a few occasions shortly after my operation where I completely overdid things and was almost at the point of collapse. Don't know if this has happened to you yet, but I would go from walking around and feeling fine one minute to being so exausted I could barely move the next. Not a huge problem in a shopping mall or walking around the neighborhood (my wife had to go and get the car to pick me up eight blocks from home once - that's how bad it would get), but it could be a major problem if you were 3-4 miles back into the wilderness.

Latest posts

Back