Hi - New Member in search of advice

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Cammie

Hi,

I have been searching for information about my condition, and can't seem to find anyone who has heard of it being done.

I have three diseased valves - Aortic stenosis, Mitral regurgitation, and tricuspid regurgitation, all in the moderate range. I also have pacemaker for total heart block.

My cardio is trying to keep me stabelized with Altace, hoping they won't progress to severe. But since they have gone from trace, to mild, to moderate in two years, I don't hold out much hope it will stop here.

My question is this: Has anybody ever heard of replacing three valves on someone with total heart block? Since I can't seem to find anything on it - my guess is that the prognosis is not too good. Also, if a person has more than one mechanical valve, is the clicking somewhat simultaneous, or do I wind up sounding like a clock that's lost its mind?

Any information would be GREATLY appreciated. It's nice to be here and hope to meet you all.

Cammie

Hi Cammie

Welcome. Think you will find our ever so growing family very supportive.

I have personally never met or heard of anyone with triple valve replacement.

We do have a few in the group that had double replacements with pacemakers.

Tricuspid valve replacement is very rare. Everyone, and I mean everyone healthy individuals included will show trace regurgitation from time to time in this particular valve. It can come and go just from the normal pressures in the heart.

My guess, if anything.....you would anticipate replacement of your Mitral and Aortic valve. I have a first degree A/V 'heart block' No pacemaker. As I age this will probably prolong and necessitate one. My heart block did not prolong when I had my valve replacement.

Please don't give up. This is all possible given you are in good physical condition otherwise. Would highly recommend second and third opinions.

And, if you have the resources....your surgery should be handled at one of the top facilities. Cleveland Clinic in Ohio, NYCU, Hopkins in Baltimore, would also go as far mentioning St. Lukes in Houston Texas? We have many Texans here that have had excellent prognosis using that facility as well as the others I mentioned.

We are here for you. Ask away.

Take it easy.

Hi Gina,

It's nice to meet you - and you have made me feel better, knowing they do not usually replace tricuspid valves. My cardio does not answer many questions. If (hopefully not when) I have this procedure done, it will be at a major hospital.

I hope your heart block stays put, and that you are feeling well.

Thanks again,

Hi Cammie

Hi Cammie

This is a wonderful site and you'll find lots of support and info. here, plus make many new friends who understand your problems.

My husband Joe has two valve replacements and also has a pacemaker. Both valves are mechanical. He just recently had a redo on his mitral valve which was leaking. At that time his tricuspid was also leaking, and it wasn't clear what would be done until the surgeon went in and had a look. As it turned out, his mitral was repaired and his tricuspid did not need to be treated. He is recovering nicely.

I've heard it said that once the mitral is fixed, the tricuspid will fall into line, but, of course, all conditions are different and there are no exact answers.

As far as the multiple ticking sounds, Joe doesn't complain about it. He was very used to his aortic valve, has had it for 24 years. The addition of the mitral wasn't that traumatic. He uses a sound machine at night, because the ticking reverberates into the mattress.

Feel free to ask all the questions you want, someone will be sure to help you out.

Last edited:
Hi Nancy

Hope Joe is doing well.

Have probably asked you this before....but here it goes again. What was the reason for Joe's St. Jude Valve necessitating replacement after a year? Did he have repair which failed and then replacement with theprosthetic valve a year later?

Hi Cammie:

I met a lady in the hospital last week who has had four
heart surgeries in her life. She has had a mitral, aortic and
tricuspid valve replaced. This last time she also had bypass
done at the same time. She is probably in her 60's and
is coming along quite well. She said this last surgery which was
6 weeks ago was the longest recuperation time she has had.
This most recent surgery was to replace tricuspid, repair aortic
replacemnt valve and bypass. i don't know about heart block.
Hope this helps you out.
Best Wishes:p Judy

Hi Gina

Hi Gina

Hi Gina-

Joe had rheumatic fever so his mitral valve was stenosed and he had that valve replacement 2 years ago. As to the reason for the recent repair (on July 18), can't be too sure what happened to loosen the stitches, but here's my best guess. Prior to his pacemaker implantation but after his mitral valve replacement, he had some very serious faints. He fell over like a tree in the forest, once on his face, partially dislocating his jaw, and another time on his back, taking out the big TV and a couple of lamps, yet another time (and this might have been the most dangerous one) falling in the yard and landing on his side on top of the large intermittent sprinkler breaking it and causing huge bruising of his side. I'm only guessing, but I think the concussion of one of those falls caused the need for the mitral repair. Took only 2 stitches to close it.

He's doing quite well, and is using the treadmill and home gym. He's been through a lot, including the two lung surgeries which are also within the past 5 year period.

He had a checkup with his cardiologist today and all is just fine. The cardiologist just shakes his head. He can't believe that Joe is still standing, I guess. LOL

Hi Janie,

Thanks for responding. I am in the process of searching out a new cardio.

I'm so glad your replacement went well and you are feeling well.

It's nice to meet you.

Take care,

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for the welcome you have all given me. That your husband has two valves replaced plus a pacemker makes me feel much reassured. I hope he continues to gain ground.

Thanks again,

Hi Judy,

I cant believe how many people are willing to help at this site. It's wonderful! Thank you for sharing that story. It's amazing how much better I feel about all this just from everyone's responses. Thanks again.

Take Care,

Hey Cammie - welcome to our home. Sit awhile and read. You can get into 'personal stories' and read about individuals' stories.

I know you will find information on your condition and much other personal experiences that will help you in your quest for healthy heart. The folks in here are all so supportive and friendly. God bless

Welcome Cammie

Welcome Cammie

I had a dual valve job 18 months ago and currently take that darn expensive Altace too. Freaks me out every time I write a check for it.

I don't suppose a triple valve job is impossible these days. Technology is incredible.

Don't worry about the clicking, it will subside. As far as keeping them in unison, that's up to the big director above. God bless and best of luck with your challenges.

Cammie,
Ditto to what Janie said about the cardio... and I see that you are searching. One thing that might help you... write down a list of questions before your appointment. Stress to the cardio that you want these questions answered... and DON'T GIVE UP! If he still seems reluctant to answer your questions, gently remind him that you are the consumer and that YOU are PAYING him for such information and it is your right to receive it.

I currently have eight different doctors for various diseases, and if I didn't ask questions I wouldn't know what doctor I was going to for what!!! lol

Here is a quote from the CML board that I frequent. It is from a doctor who has CML (leukemia) and is apt for ANYONE who is seeing a doctor:

"Bring your brain when you go to the doctor. This is you LIFE here, and choice about it are yours to make. They do not belong to anyone else, no matter how expert others seem, or how ignorant, hepless, and scared you ow feel. Furthermore, mistakes can and do happen, even at the best centers; as many studies have shown, you will fare better if you keep your eyes open and remain a little skeptical. Keep in mind that there are no prizes given for being the perfect patient."

He goes on to say that you should also take a tape recorder to appointment, in case your brains not all there. It is very hard to remember all that's said at the doctor's even under the best of circumstances, and a simple cassette record can triple what you learn from the visit --- just go home and listen to it a few times afterward."

You must have a good rapport with your doctor and confidence in him.

I hope that this little bit of wisdom may help you.

Take care,
Zazzy

I entirely agree and would add only that you may have to eliminate a doctor or two if they turn out to be constitutionally allergic to this kind of proactive behavior on the part of a patient. Happily there is an increasing number of good ones out there who are quite welcoming.

Peter

hi cammie!
welcome to this site; you have come to the right place. everyone here is so caring and supportive; they're like family!
i'm sure you will come across someone(s) who has been in your shoes or similar ones. we are all here to help each other.
so far, it seems like everyone's got you on the right track...
please keep us posted.
God bless,
sylvia

Latest posts

Back