Hi Everyone

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Wagner

In the next day or two I will run my 1,000th mile since January 1, 2002! Heading out the door now. This month my running is a very relaxed easy schedule. If you follow my home page, you will see my miles gradually pick up, to climax in October for the marathon in Victoria BC. This week I will run 3.5, 4, 3.5, and 5.5 miles. My next race will be a 10K, (6.2 miles) on March 8th, in Lacey, WA.
I have something neat to report. Les Barrett and myself made contact this week. He is the other mechanical aortic marathon finisher. How exciting. We will be talking by phone this week. Thanks to this site, that became possible. Thanks ValverReplacement.com
To everyone, "Don't feel sorry for yourself. Their are no guarantees that life won't toss a stone or two in our direction. Some times it misses us, sometimes we get hit square in the chest. (a little pun) The quickest road to recovery is a postive attitude. Their is always someone hurting more than myself. I remember a little boy dieing of cancer in his fathers arms at Childrens Hopital, while I sat in the waiting room. I still tear up thinking about that years later. (and right now) God has given me 43 years, how can I have the audacity to feel sorry for myself. Quitting is not an option; quitting is an insult. Let's fight the good fight my friends. 'Peace' be with you" .... Mark

Last edited:
Mark - I'm at a loss for words (and a few members won't believe that, will they, Gina?).

You are truly an inspiration, and I will follow your successes until I can begin my own.

So much road, so little time!

SteveE

No ... You all give me strength ...

No ... You all give me strength ...

You all give me motivation each day. Sounds sort of gross, but it is like we feed off each other. Like nourishment through each other, that God gives our souls. Where all in this together.
I remember my doctor saying not to stray to far from my house after the surgery, because if I walk to far, I may not be able to get back home. Sure enough, I walked maybe 80 yards and almost got stuck! :rolleyes: My Dad stood their with me while I gathered enough strength to get back home. What a crack up!
Then I wondered if I could ever run 6 miles without having a heart attack. I was scared to death each time I increased my runnning distance, but my attitude was (and I don't recomend this for anyone) was if I was going to drop, I would do it doing the things I love to do. My doctor said I could do most anything, but listen to my body. I took him at face value. 6 miles became 26 miles.
Each of us face are own marathon. It dosen't help to feel sorry and complain, because face it ... those around you, although they may sympathize; they don't want to hear it. Lord knows my wife put up with it from me for awhile. Now she probably gets tired of hearing me talk about my running!

hey mark,
please don't sell yourself short. you are truly an inspiration. especially, i think , to us runners. we run for fitness and health and some of us actually like it (not me!), but none of us have tackled the feats that you have.
you are so amazing. we are so proud to be among "your kind" (valvers).
please, own it!!!!! keep it up.
be well, sylvia

Great story Mark !
It reminded me of when I was young, I could run very fast but not very far.
I could never understand why I was getting so winded before everyone else.
These days I feel better than I ever did but I havn't done any running because of some arthritis( and old age).
You keep it up:D

I dito what Mark said...

I dito what Mark said...

You are all a source of great inspiration, and knowledge.

I'm very happy my daughter found this site for me, you have been my main support group, I talk about the responses I read here like I spoke to you in person.

Thanks to all!:D

Mark

Mark

Your words sound like something my husband would say only you chose your words more carefully. I remember when I finally got off of my pity pot, it's been 3 years 2 months now and I can absolutely say that it's a lot nicer being here than there. As long as this patched up, repatched up again and again and again heart is beating I'm going to enjoy every beat the best I can. Thank you for you wonderful words.

WOW! That is something. Not one but Two noisy, valve clicking marathon finishers. Are there more lurking out there?

As others have said, your achievement is truly magnificent. To run a marathon is difficult enough. To get up after major surgery and train yourselves to the level of fitness required is quite mind blowing.

In the world of runners you are often told to "listen to your body."

Now Guys, nobody meant that you take this literally.:D :D

Thanks for your proof and re-assurance that it is possible to carry the valve and to run. Over the next months I will try to follow in your footsteps...but slowly, way, way down at the back of the pack where the older experienced guys gather to watch the young guns go at it.

I think "inspirational" is not too strong a word to use here. Maybe "heroic" fits in there somewhere too.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Greg B

Hey Greg,
I have sent a couple PMs to you but not sure if they went through, as the indications are they haven't been read. Either way, if you'd like to leave your personal email address in a PM, I can contact you that way.
Best regards,
Keep Running...There's Still Road Left

Les

Bravo! I love your attitude, and you express it so well. I often have felt like I was a bloomin' Pollyanna and nobody believed me. At least some of us end up being way better off physically than before surgery. Keep us posted. We need positive news.

Been waitin to hear from you. You have inspired all of us. Am watching your progress. You oughta make national news before you are through with this race. That is, if they can puncture a hole in the war news for something else. Best to you.

Mark,

According to your homepage you were recovering for 5 months - it looks long to me. May be, you have some secret? May be, the slower the better? Tell us, please.

Good running!
Alex

Re: Alex1307

Re: Alex1307

Hi Alex,
The reason it took me 5 months, is in my line of work, I lift very heavy hoses that I would guess, when they drain are 130 lbs on the first lift. My doctors were concerned about my breast bone coming apart, by it not being totally healed if I went back to early. Anyway that's the story their.

I don't know how but I forgot to hop in and wish you success! Maybe it's my mind? It jumps all over the board and says it'll come back to a particular thread then I forget to do it. Sorry.

In my current position, I can only dream about running. For you to be doing what your doing is great. I'll follow along too! Good luck. ;)

Thank you all for the comments ...

Thank you all for the comments ...

I just wanted to thank you all for the comments. Epstns, Sylvia, Rich, Terry40, Pegne, Greg, Jean, Hensylee, Alex, and Ross, and my mentor ... Les. I look forward to getting to know each of you online as time passes.
Greg, how are you making out? One day at a time works best.
Talk to you all soon ... Mark

PS put a picture on my homepage, because my map has a glitch I need to take care next week. The picture was taken right after the marathon. About 45 minutes later I could not hardly walk for 3 days! That's okay, couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

http://hometown.aol.com/beatfeet26pt2/myhomepage/index.html

Latest posts

Back