Hey, let's talk ear lobe creases!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christina L

I know I am supposed to be staying off the web, but in my research on other health problems, I came across the possibility of ear lobe creases being linked to heart disease. From what I have read the relationship may be genetic - that if you happen to have an ear crease, you have the genetic makeup for heart disease also.

I have partial creases but am unsure what the crease is really supposed to look like - it talks about it being "diagonal" at a 45-degree angle. My partial crease angles more to the side.

Anyway, Wayne has VERY deep creases but they are more downward, not at a 45-degree angle. Wayne's mother died of a sudden heart attack at age 61.

Anyway, thought this might be an interesting thread to get going. OR something else for all of us to worry about! :)

Christina L

Christina,

Very timely information. Having already been made aware of this condition, I am planning to include double earlobe replacement with my upcoming surgery. Might as well get it all done at once. Any information on mechanical earlobes would be appreciated. :D

Perry

Also in my surfing of the net -

Also in my surfing of the net -

I found out that George H and George W Bush both have atrial fibrillation (?). Did anyone know this? That George H's passing out episode was really a-fib. Anyway, don't know if this is true 100% but thought it was very interesting. There is a site that shows a photo of George W during the debates with what this site purports to be an anti a-fib device (what the democrats said at that time was a mic in his ear/that the "bump" showing through the back of his jacket was something that was helping him to answer questions). Anyway.... all interesting.

I know the doctor who does medical reports on GMA told about his plight with a-fib the other day and he is considering having ablation done. He said he gets a-fib twice a week or so and he seemed kind of distressed about it. What was interesting, though, he didn't say he was on Coumadin. He also did not say if he has any other type of heart disease.

FYI!!

Christina L

Perry -

Perry -

that is too funny. :)

I ran across a site that was poking fun at this issue also - saying why not just excise the earlobe. Hee.

Christina L

Hi Christina. I remember hearing about this many years ago - although I thought it was creases ANYwhere around the ear - and I've taken a peculiar interest in crinkly ears since then! For what it's worth, I've known several people with heart disease who had beautiful smooth ears/lobes, and plenty of people with crinkled ears who have no known problems. Not exactly scientific study, but being on the look-out for this has kept me amused in idle moments for years.........

I have heard (and later read) comments by doctors that they could tell if someone had heart problems by the hair on their ears, also.

I don't know what that would look like. In fact, I dont really want to think about it very hard, as it's not a very visually appealing diagnostic tip.

I like the creases better. They can certainly be genetically linked, and they are easier on the eyes.

Best wishes,

Hair ON their ears, not IN

Hair ON their ears, not IN

their ears???!!! Goodness, that is an unappealing sight to think about. :eek:

I looked at my Dad's photos and could not see a crease (the photos are too blurred but Dad died of a heart attack at 63), but his dad (my Granddad) has very prominent diagonal creases in his ears and he lived until he was 86 (he had asthma and no heart problems that I know of).

Wayne's dad's photos show the same exact type of creases as Wayne has - very deep and kind of straight down the whole length of the earlobe - closer to the face side. Wayne's died died of throat cancer in his late 70s. I don't think he had any heart problems.

So....a very interesting topic. Check your ears and add your opinions on this issue! :)

Christina L

I can add to this topic !

hows about those of us without earlobes...there are two kinds of earlobes..the long droopy more regular sort and the lil weeny sort...

now the crinkly ears is from my readings a sign of BAV!...I found it years ago on a website for Marfans and will find the link and edit it in for you...

I took a photo of my ear once to show someone what I was talking about...

It was to do with the connective tissue disorder and all that sort of stuff...

BTW...my ears are tiny very uneven and crinkled with the weeny lil attatched not droopy lobes :D ...I also have teeny-tiny ear-holes the docs have to use peadiatric instruments in my ear to do the look n see stuff :rolleyes: .this also matches with the soft-palate deformities common in BAVers as the eustachian-tubes are formed with the soft-palate and cleft-lip also comes in here too...as well as frequent ear-infections and hearing difficulties...

I heard this many yrs ago, too. And I looked. But none of them seemed to ever be ill with heart problems.

I think women who wear dangly earrings might get them from yrs of wearing the ear wires. (maybe some of those guys, too):rolleyes:

My nephew, who will be 21 in May, was born with one earlobe creased. He underwent tests at birth to rule out some kind of defect(s). My sister told me then that the creased earlobe often accompanied some type of defects.
This was in 1985, so I don't remember what the doctors were concerned about.
He & his older sister, now 25, both had congenital bile duct problems and had their gall bladders removed, he at 10 or 11, she at about 22-23. Both show signs of Raynaud's syndrome, an auto-immune disorder. My sister has lupus, rheumatoid arthritis & other auto-immune disorders.
But I don't think Ryan's had any screening since birth for any cardiac problems.

Beals Syndrome

Beals Syndrome

Ok...I found the link I was searching for...
It is actually Beals Syndrome another relative of Marfan Syndrome
http://www.marfan.org/nmf/GetContentRequestHandler.do?menu_item_id=86

If you scroll down to "symptoms you will see "crumpled ears" !...thats the one that had me wondering and very curious...

It does seem there are many that are very similar...I dont envy the geneticicst whose job it is to decipher these...

but It does mention aortic enlargement and if you have a look around the site including other related disorders you may also find some others that interest you or apply to you..
good luck...

I will be interested to follow this thread due to my dodgy lil ears with their crumpled appearance!

I had an ear crease. I had mitral repair, and now the crease is gone. I think it is about impaired blood flow. The crease is not useful as a predictor. I only mention it because I had not heard of anyone having their ear crease go away. I did not even think it was very interesting except my provider was surprised to see it and more surprised to notice it gone.

Latest posts

Back