Here we go again: old wives tales and misinformation about Warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtread

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
My local paper (Gazette, www.gazette.net) just put out an article in their Sept 10 edition about a high school football player that had his football career cut short due to pulmonary embolism and the fact that he is now on anticoagulation medication. They included the statement that "He can't play football because if he got cut while on the anticogulation medication, his blood wouldn't clot and he could bleed to death". The article is found at: http://www.gazette.net/stories/09092008/rockspo192731_32470.shtml

This totally ridiculous statement demands a response, and I have drafted one that I would appreciate any comments on:

The Gazette has set the bar even higher for the perpetuation of old wives tales and misinformation about anticoagulation medication with the article in the September 10 issue, “Medical condition takes football, but not spirit, from Rockville player”. The statement that “He can’t play football because if he got cut while on the anticoagulation medication, his blood wouldn’t clot and he could bleed to death” is totally ridiculous and untrue. This conjures up images of having a cut that profusely gushes blood and is impossible to get to stop. As everyone knows, cuts on the football field are rare, and when they do happen are usually small nicks to the fingers. The fact is that someone on anticoagulation just takes a little longer to get their blood to clot, otherwise getting a cut to stop bleeding is really no different than for someone that is not anticoagulated. The probable reason that Mr. Hayden has been advised to avoid contact sports is that internal hemorrhages are difficult to control if someone is on anticoagulation (such as an injury to the liver or brain). Otherwise, someone on anticoagulation medication can (and do) lead full and productive lives with very few restrictions or limitations. There are people on anticoagulation medication that participate in all kinds of activities such as scuba diving, bicycling, running, sky diving, etc. For information on anticoagulation, see http://www.warfarinfo.com/

The Gazette comes out once a week (on Wednesdays). So, I'd like to get any comments by Sunday night so that I can send in to them in time to make their next edition. The response will have to be kept short.

Another option is for folks to send in separate responses.

Thanks!

Dan,

I think your response is very good. The only thing I wonder is just where the Gazette got their information. They might have heard those very words from the player himself who might have received it from his doctor. Not that the paper shouldn't have to research further but the information printed might be secondhand from the player.

I would try to respond to them in the form of an "open letter" to both the paper and the football player so he can try and obtain accurate information also to avoid thinking his life is ruined. However, I would expect that he would not be allowed to continue to play football from a liability standpoint based on potential head injuries.

Gina, good point. Yes, I agree it is very likely that the reporter was simply regurgitating the words of the player himself. I reworded the draft so that it is less abrasive. See what you think:

There is some misinformation about anticoagulation medication in the article in the September 10 issue, ?Medical condition takes football, but not spirit, from Rockville player?. The statement that ?He can?t play football because if he got cut while on the anticoagulation medication, his blood wouldn?t clot and he could bleed to death? is poorly worded. This statement conjures up images of having a cut that profusely gushes blood and is impossible to get to stop. As everyone knows, cuts on the football field are rare, and when they do happen are usually small nicks to the fingers. The fact is that someone on anticoagulation just takes a little longer to get their blood to clot, otherwise getting a cut to stop bleeding is really no different than for someone that is not anticoagulated. The probable reason that Mr. Hayden has been advised to avoid contact sports is that internal hemorrhages are difficult to control if someone is on anticoagulation (such as an injury to the liver or brain). Otherwise, someone on anticoagulation medication can (and do) lead full and productive lives with very few restrictions or limitations. There are people on anticoagulation medication that participate in all kinds of activities such as scuba diving, bicycling, running, sky diving, etc. For information on anticoagulation, see http://www.warfarinfo.com

Thanks!

Certainly correct the error. The world is never going to change it's views if no one educates them to the contrary. Thanks for supporting education!

Otherwise, someone on anticoagulation medication can (and do) lead full and productive lives with very few restrictions or limitations.

Please correct the grammar: "Someone" should be "People" or "Individuals"
The word someone is singular, while the rest of your sentence refers to multiple people.
One wants to appear as knowledgable and educated as possible when correcting others' errors.

I would change "poorly worded" to "misleading and generally incorrect".

Note that if an Artery was severed, he could bleed death (or so my Cardio has implied).

Thank you for the additional comments. However, I already sent in my comments to the newspaper late on Sunday to ensure that it would get into the next edition of the paper (this Wednesday). What I sent in is the second version I had posted on Saturday. I will let you know whether they put it in the paper, and will provide a link if one is available. Thanks again.

The paper came out today and unfortunately they did not include my letter to the editor on anticoagulation medication. I think the chances of them posting it next week are slim to none, but if they do I will post a message onto this thread. Better luck next time I guess; at least we tried. Thanks.

The paper came out today and unfortunately they did not include my letter to the editor on anticoagulation medication. I think the chances of them posting it next week are slim to none, but if they do I will post a message onto this thread. Better luck next time I guess; at least we tried. Thanks.

Post a link for us to write to, lets see if they ignore many letters.

Ross, the Gazette is owned by the Washington Post. It is a local paper published once a week (on Wednesday). The edition referenced in this discussion is from Montgomery County; for the town of Rockville. Their website is at www.gazette.net. Information on submitting Letters to the Editor is in their FAQ section at: http://www.gazette.net/faq/index.shtml (reproduced here in Italics):

How do I submit a letter to the editor to The Gazette?

Letters to the editor should be restricted to 200 words or fewer.

You may submit a letter to the editor through Gazette.Net.

You may also mail letters to: The Gazette, Editorial Department, 9030 Comprint Court, Gaithersburg, MD, 20877; fax to 301-670-7183; or e-mail commentary editor Georgia MacDonald, commentary editor at [email protected] .

Include your name, address and telephone number. If you are a member of a group or organization, and are writing about an issue on which that group has taken a stance, please include a sentence explaining your affiliation with that group.

Their hard copy addition also lists the following email address and phone number: [email protected] (240) 473-7500 and Fax (240) 473-7501

So, either email address could probably be used.

Not sure about how we would address the last part of their FAQ about "Groups" in Letters to the Editor. Might want to just ignore (that is what I did), or state that we're members of valvereplacement.com that are on anticoagulation medication, or something else?

Thanks, Dan

To those who wish to write a response to the Editor,
I suggest that you have someone else EDIT your letter
to check for Spelling, Grammar, and Content before sending.

Letters with misspelled words or poor grammar are not as likely to be taken seriously and raise questions in the reader's mind about the accuracy of the statements as well.

Latest posts

Back