hemolytic anemia/long story

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shirley Dickey

Please excuse the length of this post and the misspelled words.....Thank YOu

Still having lower intestinal bleeding. Had colonoscopy done and it was negative.
I was sent to see a Hematologist after much blood testing said I have some sort of Hyde syndrom which is spontaneous bleeding of the lower gi tract sometimes caused by aortic stenosis.( had aortic valve replaced with bioprostetic valve in 09 due to severe stenosis). He seems to think that I am coumadian intolerent and wants to have me removed from taking it along with the mechanical valve removed.

The hematologist has also found shearing on red blood cells and extremly low iron stores and very high haptaglobin.
Tried the iron infussion and it dropped my INR like a rock. Which he says is not normal ( but then again Im not normal) took the cardio office 3 weeks to get me even close to range @ 2.1 have been holding steady at 2.1-2.2 for 2 weeks now, should be 2.5-3.5 .They have found out that my body does not absorb the iron the way that they wanted it to...so no more infussion or oral iron...

He has sent me back to cardio stating nothing more he can do for me at this time need to have mech mitrial valve removed..and stop coumadian

Seen cardio and had a TEE done which shows
1.mech valve in mitral position noted to have moderate regurg. both leaflets are leaking back and a possibility of paravalvular leak..however we are unable to evaluate pulmonary veins.
2.tricuspid/aortic valve was poorly visualized
3.moderate left enlargement. the left ventricale is dilated.

The abnormanl TEE lead to me needing to have an echo done.
the echo results are
1.left atrium moderately dialated
2.moderate prostetic mitral valve reguritation with acoustic shadowing which underestimares regurgitation.
3. elevated peak/mean gradient across bioprostetic aortiv valve
4.abnormally functioning bioprostetic aortic valve with moderate insufficiency which is noted between right/left cusp
5. mild tricuspid reguration
6. physiologic degree of of plumonic regurgition.
So i am now awaiting a right/left heart catherization in 2 weeks and then back to surgeon.

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts/opinions on these findings..
I am still confused as to how all this has happend in 6 months time due to have a good echo report in Jan.
Cardio said will only know the cause of the leak after the valve is taken out.
Why all the sudden having probs with aortic valve again...
I hope/pray that i dont have to have a bypass again along with valve replacement...

Any thoughts are appericated....this will be my 3-4 OHS surgery in 3 years

Seen cardio and had a TEE done which shows
1.mech valve in mitral position noted to have moderate regurg. both leaflets are leaking back and a possibility of paravalvular leak..however we are unable to evaluate pulmonary veins.
2.tricuspid/aortic valve was poorly visualized
3.moderate left enlargement. the left ventricale is dilated.

The abnormanl TEE lead to me needing to have an echo done.
the echo results are
1.left atrium moderately dialated
2.moderate prostetic mitral valve reguritation with acoustic shadowing which underestimares regurgitation.
3. elevated peak/mean gradient across bioprostetic aortiv valve
4.abnormally functioning bioprostetic aortic valve with moderate insufficiency which is noted between right/left cusp
5. mild tricuspid reguration
6. physiologic degree of of plumonic regurgition.
So i am now awaiting a right/left heart catherization in 2 weeks and then back to surgeon.

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts/opinions on these findings..
I am still confused as to how all this has happend in 6 months time due to have a good echo report in Jan.
Cardio said will only know the cause of the leak after the valve is taken out.
Why all the sudden having probs with aortic valve again...
I hope/pray that i dont have to have a bypass again along with valve replacement...

Any thoughts are appericated....this will be my 3-4 OHS surgery in 3 years

I have never heard of a mechanical valve whose leaflets were leaking "back." Paravalvular regurge is not unusual (I have it), but leaking leaflets??? Something is missing here.

report states under procedure
mech valve was well visualized and appears to have 2 seperate jets from both leaflets. i can not rule out paravalvular leak.

then states this at the next paragraph in report under results
thanks for the reply

Latest posts

Back