HELP!!Second opinion opposite opinion

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Q

queenie61

Just got back from Dr. visit with well respected cardio for second opinion and surgeon recomendations and he was 180 degrees away from my cardio. My first Dr. said there was significant change in my echo from one year ago and that if I continued to progress at this rate, I would need surgery within one year and wanted to see me again in six months. This guy says #1 is using the wrong number. He says the area number is very fallible and you have to use the mean gradient number and mine is 10-12 and 50-60 would be ready for surgery. He also said I was at mild-moderate stenosis instead of #1's (closer to severe than not). #1 says surgery soon #2 says surgery 10-15 years!!! #1 says all of my symptoms related to valve disease, #2 says symptoms from something different. WHAT DO I DO NOW? Bother Dr's very well respected here. Go for third? Be happy and forget it for now? I want to trust someone so badly but don't know who. Queenie

Ask the Cleveland Clinic Heart Form

Ask the Cleveland Clinic Heart Form

Get the Echo printout from your doctor and place the same question with the actual numbers at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Form, They will post a answer within a couple of days.

The link for the Heart Form is:

http://medhlp.netusa.net/perl6/cardio/wwwboard.html

Jack.

Hi Queenie-

You need a third opinion, I think. Symptoms play an important role in the move toward surgery. In my husband's case his test results were showing mild to moderate leaking in the mitral valve, but his symptoms were so severe that his CHF couldn't be controlled and his anemia was critical. So test results alone don't tell the whole picture.

Because it was his 3rd heart surgery, there was great reluctance to go in and fix the leak, but as it turned out, it was the right thing to do. It did get to the point that he probably wouldn't have survived without the surgery.

Now that he's fixed, he's on the road to recovery, the CHF is gone for the most part and his anemia has improved significantly.

It was a very small leak, took 2 stitches to close, but caused an enormous amount of problems.

You may not be in the same boat as my husband was, but if you are in any doubt, please pursue it further until you're satisfied. That way you won't have to wonder who's right and who's wrong.

Good luck.

Queenie- Here are a few thoughts. First, your 1st cardio extrapolated your heart condition using two echos. Your second opinion didn't have that information (at least it appears so from reading your posting). I would continue with your six month check-up and see how a third echo lines up with the first two. You should see the cardiologist who you have the most confidence in. I know that not knowing is not too fun,but I wouldn't worry. When I had Rheumatic Fever in 1963, they told me I would need surgery some day. That didn't happen until 2001, and I never lost sleep in-between (at least until it got close). Keep notes on your symptoms and feelings and just wait. Good luck with whichever way you decide to go.

Latest posts

Back