Help needed on choosing the promising mech. aortic valve - St.Jude v/s On-X

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree totally with ski girl. It takes a lot of knowledge to pick a valve, and you want your surgeon to be experienced in installing them. You don't want to push your surgeon outside their comfort zone unless it is really necessary.

My research said that there isn't a big difference in all of the mechanical valves even though some are marketed differently. I went with On-X since they claim lower INR levels can be used. Its not as old as the St Jude, but designed by the guy who invented the St Jude. In those terms i was comfortable.
I agree that go with what your surgeon says. Usually they install the one that they have been using. It was very clear, since i got 2 opinions and they both wanted different valves, but also said they will put in whichever one i wanted.

I also agree that I would go with my surgeons recommendation once the decision of valve type is made. Being able to discuss the various valve choices with your doc is a plus, but he/she is the expert. My surgery was much simpler since only one valve was on the market.....but I believe my longevity is, at least partly, due to the surgeons' experience and expertise in fitting and sewing in that valve. To me, the surgeon is much more important that valve tradename. My old valve is considered a relic and would not be used today......but it has lasted me a long, long time......thanks to a very good surgeon....and he was a surgical resident at the time.....but he went on to become Chief of Staff at a major US heart hospital.

Latest posts

Back