Help, I'm in Health Insurance HELL!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JJGo

Well, folks, my plan was to tell you what a nice ?day off? I had on Sunday which I really did and how I was getting everything all together for Thursday and time is short but I?m feeling good about it all. BUT then I got a phone call from the EVIL Managed Care Department at Park Nicollet Clinic (the health insurance people) who once again have turned my world upside down.

Last Tuesday, my health insurance told me that I have NO (as in zero) out of network medical coverage except in emergencies. The only way any of the Mayo stuff would be covered was if I was referred for it by my surgeon at Park Nicollet Clinic. So that meant many frantic phone calls and long hours of waiting to hear back. My fear was that Dr. Monson (the local surgeon I talked to) would say (because of pressure not to do referrals form the insurance companies) that the Synergraft surgery was too new and experimental for him to recommend it. It was quite an exercise in self control (partially successful) to not just make myself crazy thinking of the ?what ifs? and contingency plans if this happened. I got the call from his nurse at about 4:00 that he would write the referral. I was relieved and proceeded accordingly. I even had an appointment on friday with my local cardiologist. Everything seemed all set, ready to go. I asked for a copy of the referral letter but was told it was just done by phone and computer and there was no actual letter for me to see.

The "Managed Care" people are now telling me they will not pay for the surgery at Mayo. Their position is that care is available for me here and if I choose to go elsewhere they will not pay for it. This is so infuriating (not to mention very scary) to me. So I have just canceled all my clients for tomorrow so that I can spend the day frantically making phone calls to see if I can make this happen before Thursday. If not I have to make the decision to: 1) go ahead as planned with the surgery on Thursday, knowing that I may have to pay the $70,000+ bill myself; 2) postpone the surgery to go through the appeals process with the insurance company, costing me time and income from my practice, not to mention costing me my health; 3) choose a different (far less optimal in my mind) surgery and have it here at Methodist. Yikes! Have I mentioned that we have an insane health care system? Needless to say, this is not a very healthy way to be getting prepared for open heart surgery. I guess I?ll be hoping for a miracle tomorrow so if you have any ins for helping that process I?d much appreciate it.

So I know I'm not the first or last to deal with this. Any words of wisdom or tricks for making your health care actually work to keep you healthy will be much appreciated.

Thanks for being here!

I can imagine what your going through now.

Somehow, the letter that was sent had to have been on paper or voice recorded on tape. It may be a waste of time now, but I'd strangle somebody for a copy of whatever was sent to the insurance Satans.

Without knowing precisely what was said by your doc, it would be difficult to give advice as to what to do now. I'm sure you know that already.

At this point, I have no new advice. See what you can do tomorrow. I'm sure if you appeal, it will take too much valuable time before a decision is reached and then they might deny it again. I don't think your health should be put on a dang balance scale.

I'll certainly say a few extra words to my creator for you tonight.

Sincerely,
Ross

JJ - I was a little confused by your posting. It sounded like your local doctor wrote the referral. I guess the insurance company decided that was not good enough. Here is some advice you may consider
1 - If you can afford the 70k, this may be your best solution. It would not be mine.
2 - Arguing with your insurance company is a good use of your time since you have your heart set on Mayo.
3 - Many local hospitals do the surgery. I would guess there are good reasons to go to Mayo, but I would think the local hospital could also do a good job. I would work 2 above hard before settling on 3, depends on the complexity of your case.
After reading my response, I guess I am not much help. Hope you can find a good solution for yourself.

The Mayo Clinic likely has a financial counseling department that may offer sound advice. I know there's one at the Cleveland Clinic.

Where to go?

Where to go?

JJ, before my mitral valve surgery I checked out Cleveland Clinic, Johns Hopkins, Mayo and Georgetown. Insurance was no problem since I have Medicare and supplement. I finally decided to stay home and go to Inova Fairfax 10 miles from my house. I did this because I wanted family near by. I had a friend who had complications after mitral repair at Cleveland Clinic and his wife was stuck in a hotel room in a strange town for for longer than she wished. Also I had seen so many patients do well at Fairfax I actually thought I might have a better chance there.I was lucky and went home AM the 4th post op day feeling fine. Now this is why I think your insurance plan may be giving you trouble. My hospital bill was 30 K and the surgeon fee 5 K. I have checked on patients who have gone to Cleveland and Mayo and their bills have been about double mine.I think if you wish to go to Mayo or Cleveland, you or your insurer has to pay a premium.

Update

Update

Here's the posting from my website (www.caringbridge.com/mn/jymmefor today, just to update you all without having to go there. The reason my heart is set on Mayo (but may have to be reset) is because of the potential for repair and if not, the potential longevity of the Synergraft.

My hope that I would know whether or not I was having surgery at Mayo on Thursday by the end of the day today has been dashed. But I do still have a modicum of hope that it will happen. I did my multiple frantic phone calls today and it comes down to a review that is scheduled to happen at 9 am tomorrow morning with the Health Partners director. It is unclear how long this process will take. He could just look at the information gathered and make a decision or he could make calls to talk to any or all the docs involved. Since it is unlikely they would be available when he calls, who knows how long this process will take. For those of you who understand this insanity, it was the Managed Care Dept. at my clinic here that denied payment yesterday. This is different from my actual health insurance. So if my health insurance decides otherwise, that will override the managed care folks. I have no sense of which way it will go. At first the Managed Care people were telling the health insurance people that I was doing something very experimental and it was all about being in a study. I tried to as strongly as possible emphasize that that is not true and I do not have to participate in the study to have this surgery at Mayo. I emphasized to the Insurance folks what their financial incentives would be and what the health advantages to me would be if they let me go ahead with the Mayo surgery. 1) Dr. Zehr/Mayo is offering repair of the valve if it?s possible, Methodist is not; 2) The Synergraft has a potential for a much longer lifespan than the Homograft available locally, hence longer time before a reop is needed. So I feel that I?ve done everything I can do at this point and need to just wait and see what tomorrow brings.

In the meantime I?m proceeding with trying to do everything I need to, to be ready for surgery on Thursday. At the same time I?m trying to prepare myself for the possibility that it will not happen and I will have to go through another long decision making process and/or reschedule everything to be done locally with a procedure and surgeon I don?t feel very confident about. Do I get an attorney involved if I?m denied tomorrow? Can I even afford that? Do I work the political possibilities? What will any of this do to my timeline and what will it mean in terms of trying to start earning income again? Tough questions for me. Hope they all turn out to not need to be dealt with tomorrow morning! So anyone who has time to surround this person (or people) who are holding my health in his (or their) hands with whatever energy or light they need to make the right decision for me, please do. I need all the help I can get here.

Thanks for all your input here!

Help, I'm in Health Insurance HELL!

Boy am I glad I live in Canada! I know people dump all over our "socialized" medicine but never !, not once!, never! was insurance or money ever mentioned.

True enough , I had to wait my turn....and true enough emergency cases bumped everyone back BUT the surgeon or his people called to check on me...I was carefully monitored by my family doctor who was in contact with the surgeon. Never did I feel forgotten or left behind.

All treatment, drugs, etc were provided me free of cost and worry.
Now that I am home I pay a small ( $10.00 ) fee for my prescriptions which include Lipitor, Metaprolol, Altace and aspirin.

The horror stories about managed care sends chills up my spine. Truly a story befitting Stephen King.

jackc (Welland )

Don't get an attorney invoved. I'm one, and I'd cost you a good $20,000 to get you a Mayo surgery in 18 months.

You're better off going local or paying for the surgery yourself. If you're considering drastic measures, consider getting the surgery and then declaring bankruptcy.

I considered it!

I considered it!

Christian said:
Don't get an attorney invoved. I'm one, and I'd cost you a good $20,000 to get you a Mayo surgery in 18 months.

You're better off going local or paying for the surgery yourself. If you're considering drastic measures, consider getting the surgery and then declaring bankruptcy.

I guess my attempt to quote didn't work!

I guess my attempt to quote didn't work!

OK, I'll try that again.

I considered that route, Christian. Mayo told me today that without insurance they would require payment up front before doing the surgery.

I don't even begin to have that much money or even access to it. I'm hoping these discussions will all be moot and I'll get the go ahead tomorrow. I'm trying to remain hopeful and positive, in part so I can sleep tonight!

I can tell you one thing, if I do get the ok, I'll go into surgery on Thursday feeling like I don't have a worry in the world! (After dealing with all this.)

Well, that stinks.

I have nothing to offer but empathy at this point. Sorry you have to go through all this.

Christian

SURGERY IS ON AS SCHEDULED!

SURGERY IS ON AS SCHEDULED!

I JUST GOT THE APPROVAL FROM HEALTH PARTNERS!

Oh my god, hold on for a second while I breathe into this paper bag.....

Well, now I guess I better finish packing.

I can't thank everyone enough for all your support and energy that has been directed towards this. It's made a huge difference for me and I choose to believe it made a difference in the outcome this morning. If we can make this happen (with the Insurance), I have no worries about the surgery going well. I think I've been through the hardest part. Maybe the last two days were just to give me perspective.

Not sure when I'll be able to update here again but someone will be updating my website with progress reports.

www.caringbridge.com/mn/jymme

HI JJ!

Glad to hear that your surgery got approved!! This is FANTASTIC!! Now we can concentrate on getting you through the surgery! Best wishes tomorrow, I'll be praying for you! Soon this will all be behind you and you'll be enjoying your 'vacation'!

I'll be eagerly waiting for news on how you're doing.

-Jennie

JJ-

I'm just thrilled that you got your approval. But I must say that I hate that they did this to you at the last minute, or even at all. Where has America's heart gone?

My bet is that the difference in the amount of money that would be spent at Mayo versus the local hospital would amount to small potatoes anyway. All of these surgeries are expensive, no matter where they're done.

You didn't need this last minute aggravation.

Congratulations!

CONGRATULATIONS JJ !!

Here's wishing you smooth sailing at Mayo.

See you on the other side.

'AL'

Hi JJ, I am glad you got approved for your surgery. I have to fight every year to go see my cardiologist. But, I won and have to approval to go ahead this year and see him. I think these insurance companies INCLUDING TRICARE are run by money hungry pigs. Well, most of them, anyways. Good luck, and we look forward to your post surgery post!

Back