Hello. First Posting PVR Candidate!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Linda, thanks for the clarification. What you summarised was exactly what my cardiologist told me. Surgery is required to preserve the function of my heart before any irreversible damage is done. I now understand what you mean when talking about sudden death if the valves are simply left alone, something I won't be doing. Thanks for your encouragement and words of advice. I also wonder if I am going to feel worse after surgery than I do now. From what you say I probably will but I also have to bear in mind I will be in recovery for 3 to 6 months and any improvements will be a slow process.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

My cardiologist, and second opinion cardiologist and cardic surgeon, recommended I had surgery (to replace bicuspid aortic valve) based on when my pressure gradient reached a certain point. This was before I had any symptoms as it was explained that it is safest to operate before symptoms develop. I never had any symptoms at all and was at my fittest for many years even the day before surgery. Nearly six months later I am not quite fully recovered so, yes, you may well feel 'worse' after surgery since you might not feel badly before ! My surgeon also 'threatened' that I could get sudden cardiac death though my cardiologsit and GP said otherwise - no fun when a surgeon says that. I think she was used to talking down to patients…often surgeons lack people skills, no excuses and I have complained about her to my cardiologist, my GP and three other consultants I'm under, complained about her people skills that is, her surgical skills were the best and she was able to do my surgery in only two hours which meant only 45 mins on the heart lung machine, which is brill. But yes, surgery before symptoms develop is better than later after the heart has enlarged and damage is being done.

All the best !

Scott,
I do apologize for not being more clear in my first posting, I was worried that you sounded like you may not have been taking this condition as seriously as you should, and am heartened to hear I was wrong. I'm now about 5 weeks out from my surgery and certainly do feel worse than prior to the operation. However, I am still in recovery and am confident that once fully healed I will be better than before. And, mor importantly knowing that I am doing all that I can to prolong my life. Unfortunately for me, my pressures were allowed to get too high and for too long, so I am unlikely to see much reversal of my enlargement and right side issues. The medical field simply had NO idea that they shouldn't be letting these valves just keep leaking until recently. But I look on this surgery as preventing any further damage and reducing the stress on my heart.

I am one of the first generation of patients to survive the major heart defects I had and was never expected to live past my 20s much less into my 50s and with two healthy children. My cardiologists were always amazed that I wasn't having problems because of how the surgeries were done in the 1960s. When I started having symptoms last year, they were still mild and not considered life threatening (the arrythmias that is, the right side is still close to failing) but I felt it important to deal with the situation as soon as possible because of that looming statement and the realization how lucky I've been ALL these years. What I find neat to contemplate is that the patients I took care of as infants and young children in the 1980s are now becoming healthy adults and are continuing to benefit from advances in medical science.

I think my biggest issue with the recovery is two fold. My chest has now been cut open 4 times and is mostly trying to mend with previous scar tissue not solid bone. Also, my womanly charms are wreaking havoc on my pectoral muscles - you guys are lucky to NOT have that extra weight pulling on those chest muscles. :cool: You have several advantages that should serve you well....
Great medical care, youth, good overall health, only 1 previous OHS, and no boobies! Be assertive, brave and confident that you are doing the right thing and know we are all here for you! Best of luck!
Linda

Latest posts

Back