Heart pounds against ribs

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is still thumping pretty good after 3 1/2 months. Ascending aorta hemashield graft and st Jude mechanical valve. You can take heart rate by standing in front of a clock and counting the beats. feels like a hammer hitting the sternum, sometimes a softer rubber hammer, other times a steel hammer. Worse at times. better at times. Best right after a big meal when stomach is full. Worst when on empty stomach or expanding lungs taking a full breath. Walking and moving either helps it or masks it. Keep moving and pray that it goes away with time. Also standing upright and sucking belly in helps. Also holding in pressure with arms folded across chest gives some relief. Also wearing a wide back brace that pulls the stomach in helps sometimes. I`m thinking eventually we can do ab excercises that might help.

I hope this isn't too graphic....but as a teacher......I'm part scientist....and long to find INFO...INFO.....INFO......

Your pericardium is a sac around the heart....It helps protect the heart....and keep it in place. During a major heart repair...this must be punctured and peeled down.....to do the work. Some doctors sew it back up and some don't ......complication rates actually decrease if it is NOT sewn up.....a bleed then would cause cardiac tampanade (sp) which means a blood filled sac....which would hinder the heart from pumping. What you are feeling is probably a result of Not having this pericardium around your heart. Your heart is now more free to move around......and you are more sensitive to its beating. In time you will adjust....

Of course....you may be feeling weird things just because the heart is going through a healing process. Just sayin.....you can't have such an invasive procedure without the heart noticing...and needing to heal.

Anybody hear this before? Does it sound kinda like it could be the reason?

I have had the same problem since my surgery. When it first started happening it scared the heck out of me. None of my doctors seemed too worried about it though. Some said it might pass as I healed more. It's been almost seventeen months since my surgery and it still feels pretty much the same when it DOES happen, but it doesnt seem to happen as often. Sometimes when it happens though it catches me off-guard and I get a little nervous that something is wrong, but then I find myself back here reading about other members having the same issue(s) and it makes it a bit easier to just be aware of my symptoms without letting them drive me nuts worrying.

Yep, this is standard stuff with a mechanical valve. I can feel mine when I breath deeply. I like using this "feature" to check my heart rate when I'm running or bicycling and cross check against my watch monitor if it's on. You will probably get used to it and even like it after a while.

Back