Have you ever got altitude sickness

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you ever got altitude sickness

• I have been to 8000 feet and did NOT get altitude sickness.

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • I have been to 7000 feet and did NOT get altitude sickness.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I have been to 6000 feet and did NOT get altitude sickness.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have been to 5000 feet and did NOT get altitude sickness.

• I have been to 8000 feet and DID get altitude sickness.

• I have been to 7000 feet and DID get altitude sickness.

• I have been to 6000 feet and DID get altitude sickness

• I have been to 5000 feet and DID get altitude sickness.

• Don't worry about me... I don't get altitude sickness at any elevation.

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • I can't leave sea level

• Total voters

Rain

In an effort to be certain we organize the reunion in a place that no one will suffer altitude sickness I?m doing a poll. Would you all please tell me if you?ve ever got altitude sickness and if so at what altitude you got sick? Or on the other hand if you?ve been fairly high and didn?t get it.

Altitude is defined on the following scale High (8,000 - 12,000 feet [2,438 - 3,658 meters]), Very High (12,000 - 18,000 feet [3,658 - 5,487 meters]), and Extremely High (18,000+ feet [5,500+ meters]). Since few people have been to such altitudes, it is hard to know who may be affected. There are no specific factors such as age, sex, or physical condition that correlate with susceptibility to altitude sickness. Some people get it and some people don't, and some people are more susceptible than others. Most people can go up to 8,000 feet (2,438 meters) with minimal effect. If you haven't been to high altitude before, it's important to be cautious. If you have been at that altitude before with no problem, you can probably return to that altitude without problems as long as you are properly acclimatized.
sickness

Hey Rain,
Does it get any worse the more you drink?:D lol
Good Poll!

Dave

When I was much younger I spent the nite in Leadville, CO...something just shy of 11,000 feet I think. My brother and I got really sick in the middle of the night, and had to check out of the motel at 3AM. They said it happens a lot and even gave us a discount.

I've been to Denver many times on the way to visit my grandparents in western Kansas. Never had a problem.

Thanks for posting the poll Rain.
Was not going to comment and put a damper on all of your hard work. That was until I read Johnny's post.

Friend of mine took her mother (age 60) from Chicago to Golden then up to a higher elevation..... like Johnny, she woke up very sick. They somehow got her back to Denver and to the hospital. She was in CHF!

As Johnny mentioned...we all should fair just fine in Denver.
Higher altitude and Ross would be out of the question I assume too. :(

I used to be proof tested to 12,000 ft when I piloted aircraft, but now, I really don't know what affect it's going to have. I'm at 1228 ft MSL now and having a hard time, so I imagine it would be pretty hard for me to get up in the higher elevations. :confused:

It's the great unknown for me, therefor no vote.

HUH?

HUH?

Rain, Hmmm I have never been over 6000 ft. unless you can count airplane altitude---pressurized cabins?? no huh?

Then I will need an - I don't know spot - in order to participate.:)

A bottle of rain, thats all I need :D

I go to La Paz (12,000+) every year or so and the altitude always kicks my butt.

I got sick once

I got sick once

at 11,000+ feet; but still managed to ski, so it doesn't daunt me.

There is medicine they can give you if you've exhibited altitude sickness before. Understand it really helps.

The main drug for altitude sickness is Diamox and unfortunately it doesn't work for me. From the people I know that take it for really high altitudes, it either works really well or not at all.

Altitude

Altitude

I could fly and go to the mountains before I had the heart problems. Last year was my last time to try the mountains. It was so bad that brushing my hair made me breathless. I just had a problem flying 2 weeks ago. The trip was onlygoing to be for a hour and after the takeoff and we were up in the air I got up to go to the restroom and I was very short of breath and my legs and ankles were swelling. The swelling went away at night and came back for the next 3 days. We drove home and I called the Dr for appointment, the nurse said that it can happen. I am a little scared because my heart damage was from the diet drugs and I have read that pulmonary hypertension is something that happens later on.

Hi Rain

On our recent trip we rode up the 70 from Fruita ( where the Colarado National Monument is ) to Denver,

I think the elevation was quite high

I was okay but the Harley really struggled 50 mph and that was flat out ( Bill did not think it was worth altering the carb )

Good luck with your 2004 plans

Your friend

Jan

going up to altitude first time post-op Tuesday

going up to altitude first time post-op Tuesday

I, (we) live in Big Bear Lake, 6500 feet. Haven't been home much since August 2002, Came to Pasadena to care for my Mom, who has Alzheimer's Disease.
So after diagnosis, no more trips, no more exercising, no more fun. However now all that is past, except for not drinking coffee or wine, (which makes me whine) So going home for the day on Tuesday, will walk around a little, go out to lunch, husband gets hair cut there. Check on some things, get our mail.
So will be interesting to see what happens,
Wish us well.

thanks, Corky

Well Dick....hmmmm? I've been to LaPaz and didn't get altitude sickness. I took a pill my nephew prescribed [internist] and it worked. Don't know if I'd take it now though as that was pre-surgery.

Oops, just read above where it doesn't work for you.

Did you go out to Lake Titicaca -- world's highest navigable freshwater lake at 12,500 ft?

Since I'm from Texas, I know nothing about altitude! However, I can tell you that I got sick at the bottom of the mountain at Wolf Creek and at the bottom of the mountain at Angel Fire - blacked out in both places. I'm pretty safe here in Houston/Katy - about 13 ft. above sea level, except when it rains, at which time we are 4-5 ft. below sea level!

Hi, Lisa in Katy

Hi, Lisa in Katy

Hi: My Mom lives in Eagle Lake, the goose hunting capital of the world, or is it the rice farming capital of the U.S.?

I've been through Katy. Texas is so very different from Alaska. I love the heat, but not the humidity.

Take care.

Peg

The humidity has been low lately - only about 75%! The temp today was a little higher than normal - about 90, but the last few weeks have really been nice.

I have a brother-in-law in Homer, Alaska. Someday we'll get there! I hear that it's beautiful.

I know for sure that Joe couldn't manage the high altitude because of his pulmonary hypertension, it would be dangerous for him, I'm not even sure he could fly.

Take it easy

Take it easy

When Alice and I go to Colorado, Taos,Bozeman, etc. we have learned that we need to "acclimatize". No running around like crazy for 2 or 3 days,
lots of water, no alcohol, etc. This is particularly important for senior citizens.

Lisa in Katy

Lisa in Katy

Homer, Alaska is one of my most favorite places to visit. We go every Labor Day weekend. I don't think I could live there, though, too far away from the big city, but it is a gorgeous place. I hope you do get there sometime. It would be worthwhile.

Take care.

Latest posts

Back