Has Anyone Traveled to the Cleveland For Surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Linda: I apologize because I just saw your detailed response. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. It is garden season and frankly I have not been at my computer much. I went to CC early May and as a result of the echo and aortic CT numbers, I am comfortable that I have at least 6 more months, and surgery is not imminent. I am somewhat more relaxed.

I used to be an RN so I don't believe that my expectations are unrealistic, but I was very put off by my experience with the ologist at CC. (The surgeon was typical surgeon, all mechanics - fine with that.) But the cardio met with me before the echo and - ( based on an echo from 1 yr previous,) told me I should have the surgery now. He said the philosophy is changing and since the risk of surgery is so negligible for someone like me without co-morbidities, I should just go ahead and get it done while I still feel pretty good. I was totally thrown by this. It made all my questions about hemodynamics etc. entirely irrelevant. Mind you I traveled at great expense, all the way across the country to see them. They had all the previous history including year old echo - and said I should be evaluated. They could have given me the same "new philosophy" schpiel via phone! Since apparently all he needed was my old records. Turns out CT showed aortic root is mildly enlarged 4.2 - so, I wondered aloud, why wouldn't I wait to determine the rate it is deteriorating so I would be able to get both fixed at once? He replied, "your aorta is not going to get any bigger." The kicker is the cardio barely talked to me AFTER the echo. He dropped in briefly while I dressed after the echo, in the Lab! And did not go over any of new numbers. I was so stunned. I had an entire list of questions that never got asked, let alone answered. I was charged a lot of money for those 2 consults with him. That said, you can't beat the numbers at CC. And it's the surgeon"s skill that counts. Your synopsis of your experience helps to reassure me that the rest is just static. Although I hate to think what would have happened if I were less informed and able to knowledgeably decide NOT to have the surgery NOW.

Thank you again for your thoughts, and congratulation on your graduation from the waiting room! McBon

Wow, you guys who flew home a couple of days after getting out of the hospital were fortunate. My surgeon (in PA, while I live in CA) was conservative and initially objected to my plan to stay in town two weeks after the surgery date. The surgery went really well and afterward, he told my husband that going home on schedule shouldn't be a problem. Two days after being released from the hospital I had an irregular heartbeat that turned into A-fib. I stayed in the hospital three more nights for that. I still went home on schedule, but it's a good thing I didn't go right after getting out. Then I had a 2.5 hour delay for my flight and I was beginning to fear we'd never land - just one delay after another. It scared me (I was feeling queasy from the Metoprolol), but it all turned out fine. I used the wheelchair service on both ends to conserve my energy.

BTW, McCbon, my ascending aorta was slightly enlarged to 4.0cm but my surgeon still reduced the diameter while he was in there (with sutures, not a graft) - the idea being it could prevent a problem down the road. (However, I had an AV repair rather than replacement, so that could also have been a factor.) Here's an old paper I found: http://www.annalsthoracicsurgery.org/article/S0003-4975(01)03455-5/pdf

One other bit of advice: see your regular cardiologist soon after getting home. At least if the medication is making you feel ill!

Well since my root is 4.8 cm I assume replacement with a graft is my only option at this point.

Wow, you guys who flew home a couple of days after getting out of the hospital were fortunate. My surgeon (in PA, while I live in CA) was conservative and initially objected to my plan to stay in town two weeks after the surgery date. The surgery went really well and afterward, he told my husband that going home on schedule shouldn't be a problem. Two days after being released from the hospital I had an irregular heartbeat that turned into A-fib. I stayed in the hospital three more nights for that. I still went home on schedule, but it's a good thing I didn't go right after getting out. Then I had a 2.5 hour delay for my flight and I was beginning to fear we'd never land - just one delay after another. It scared me (I was feeling queasy from the Metoprolol), but it all turned out fine. I used the wheelchair service on both ends to conserve my energy.

BTW, McCbon, my ascending aorta was slightly enlarged to 4.0cm but my surgeon still reduced the diameter while he was in there (with sutures, not a graft) - the idea being it could prevent a problem down the road. (However, I had an AV repair rather than replacement, so that could also have been a factor.) Here's an old paper I found: http://www.annalsthoracicsurgery.org/article/S0003-4975(01)03455-5/pdf

One other bit of advice: see your regular cardiologist soon after getting home. At least if the medication is making you feel ill!

Back