Happily coping wth the wait

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyChas

As I?ve been banned by Lord Woodbutcher from participating in the post-surgery section until properly qualified:D:p I?m just wondering what others are doing (or did) to take their mind off things? I?m finding the lead up to the operation much easier this time round (about two months ago I was cancelled at the last minute; six days to go now). I think the main reasons for this surprising peace of mind are that I?m much more accepting of the need for surgery, and that I now have a pretty good idea of what?s going to happen.

Originally I thought that immersing myself in work was the answer to taking the mind off the operation and attendant issues, but I?ve found myself neglecting work completely recently, and when indoors tend to spend my time

1. Playing guitar a lot (I?m pretty rusty but the neighbours haven?t complained yet!); despite the cacophony, it definitely has a meditative effect.
2. Watching Father Ted DVDs (it?s an acquired and slightly obscure taste, I suppose, but I love it).
3. Watching all the Kate Winslet movies I can find/download (what man wouldn?t?).
4. Watching/listening to lots of old music videos on Youtube (fellow Aussies will understand the almost narcotic nostalgic effect of just about any Countdown clip from the late 70s and early 80s).
5. Eating more chocolate than usual and getting mildly drunk most evenings (I?m sure many here can relate to this!).
6. Reading valvereplacement.com forum posts; much more fun than Facebook!

Andy

As I?ve been banned by Lord Woodbutcher from participating in the post-surgery section until properly qualified:D:p I?m just wondering what others are doing (or did) to take their mind off things? I?m finding the lead up to the operation much easier this time round (about two months ago I was cancelled at the last minute; six days to go now). I think the main reasons for this surprising peace of mind are that I?m much more accepting of the need for surgery, and that I now have a pretty good idea of what?s going to happen.

Originally I thought that immersing myself in work was the answer to taking the mind off the operation and attendant issues, but I?ve found myself neglecting work completely recently, and when indoors tend to spend my time

1. Playing guitar a lot (I?m pretty rusty but the neighbours haven?t complained yet!); despite the cacophony, it definitely has a meditative effect.
2. Watching Father Ted DVDs (it?s an acquired and slightly obscure taste, I suppose, but I love it).
3. Watching all the Kate Winslet movies I can find/download (what man wouldn?t?).
4. Watching/listening to lots of old music videos on Youtube (fellow Aussies will understand the almost narcotic nostalgic effect of just about any Countdown clip from the late 70s and early 80s).
5. Eating more chocolate than usual and getting mildly drunk most evenings (I?m sure many here can relate to this!).
6. Reading valvereplacement.com forum posts; much more fun than Facebook!

Andy
Hey Andy I can relate to what your feeling.I still have no symptoms but have gotten a second opinion and the surgeon basically confirm the first opinion.I resign myself ok I need a valve so lets get on with it and get it behind me.Now another setback.Had my CT scan and TEE test the 15th of Jan and had an appointment the 22nd of Jan. with my surgeon to go over the results.Went out and met a couple of friends and had a couple of beers(ok about 7 or 8) to relax before tomorrow.Get home an theirs a message from surgeons office that he has to be in surgery tomorrow and they will call and reschedule in a day or two.Meanwhile they call my wife at work and tell her they want to set me up for a heart cath. because they want to check something they saw on the other tests.What the heck did they see?? Why not tell my wife?? Now I have to wait a day or two to get some answers.So its back to worrying??Just when I was finally relaxed!!!No appointment tomorrow so its probably back to the local bar.Cheers!!!!!!!

Hi Andy,

I am nearing the end of a 5 months wait (found out in October I would be having surgery in March) and it's certainly been a long road. I totally understand why many say that the wait is the worst bit!!! :)

I am a student and finished college in November and obviously won't be able to do any study for the first part of this year. So to keep myself sane I have been doing the following:

1. Volunteer work - it's amazing how helping others takes your mind off your own problems :p

2. Become a regular patron at my local Blockbuster store - The series DVD's are the best as they take hours to watch. Although Grey's Anatomy has far too many people having surgery which is a bit close to home :D

3. Booked regular lunches with friends who are working - I'm gradually making my way around Melbourne's cafe's - although the amount I am eating they may have to roll me into surgery.....

Good luck with your surgery - hope the Aussie medical system treats you well - Look forward to hearing a positive update from you afterwards :)

Jeanne

Well I guess I was "lucky" enough to have a pre-birthday celebration, pre-Chrissy stuff, and family staying to keep my mind off things (they're all pretty rambunctious, so it's hard to hear yourself think at the best of times!! ;) :D ).

Otherwise I reckon a good DVD and book collection, cleaning house and making sure it's set up for your return (things you're likely too need in reach - not too high or low, plenty of pillows to support you in bed, that sort of thing), and of course, catching up with friends. Sounds like you're doing a pretty good job of keeping yourself amused already, so not sure if there's really much I can add.

A : )

.....and who granted Woodbutcher a Lordship..?!!!! :D

I started this journey in late August and had my first surgery date for 10 Dec 2008, then another for 9th Jan 2009 and now called in early for surgery tomorrow. I was pretty frazzled :eek: a few days prior to the first date but the second run-up was much easier :) and tonight I am feeling pretty normal (twitch, twitch):p - all the dry runs get the adrenalin out of the system! The biggest help to me was the realization that I had nothing to do with the situation - I was born with it and there was only one way to fix it - I have a surgeon I trust - I will be in a facility I trust - and from this site I have seen that the OP itself and the post OP recovery are all quite manageable - even for a big baby like myself:D. I went very quickly from a glass half empty to a glass half full guy and just feel very lucky that I paid attention to the little symptoms before they became big ones and that I have the opportunity to fix the problem and go on with my life.
Good luck on your journey.
Cameron

Bookjp: sorry to hear they're keeping you and your wife in suspense. I get the impression that angiograms are routinely done when the need for OHS becomes clear for valve problems. I suppose the doctors have some rules about not telling your wife the reason they want you to have one? Anyway, don't drink too much while you're waiting!!

Aussiemember: I'll do my best to post after surgery; I'm hoping I can follow the example of everyone here and not complain too much.

Anna: I suppose I'll have to ruin the idyll tomorrow and start cleaning up, as I'm leaving for Sydney on Saturday. Sitting here typing I've just noticed that the kettle is currently in a mad position about eye height, so I'll get that fixed up!

Cameron: Good to hear you're feeling ready to go, and all the best for tomorrow. If I was given the chance to have surgery at a day's notice I'd probably take it as well. Good luck!

Andy

Hardly banned !? But I think I'll run with the new title .... Cheers.
Amazing, swap the guitar for a fiddle and my top 6 would be very similar !

I'm really pleased for you that you're feeling happier about your surgery, that really is half the battle. I wish you the very best of luck with it.

If you need to add to the top 6, there's always a round of Scrabble with the chap and his hedgehog ? .... And of course Dingo baiting or even Wallaby wanging .... The days'll fly by ?
Have a few glasses of wine on me ! Cheers...

I like #6 on your list, and think you're doing well without any additional advice from me!

Coping

Coping

Hi Andy
Since you play guitar...why not write a song about your experience, feelings, and the blessing of doctors who can save our lives through these amazing surgeries?
Viki

Hi Andy
Since you play guitar...why not write a song about your experience, feelings, and the blessing of doctors who can save our lives through these amazing surgeries?
Viki

Hi Viki

That?s certainly an interesting thought and, believe me, I agree with your sentiments about all the medical staff that help us though this (I just can?t imagine the responsibilities of being a GP, let alone a surgeon!). However, his Lordship is right, and I think that any attempt to immortalise in song the staff at St Vincents Hospital, Sydney, would probably somewhat perplex the neighbours, their dogs and cats!:D

Anyway, I just have time to watch Titanic once more before I have to start cleaning up!

Andy -

I have Irish blood in me and having 7-9 beers in me helped me relax. The surgeon and Cardio told me to stop that sort of stuff now. I told them they are no fun! My aortic valve is in real bad shape and they just want me to mellow out some other way.What a bummer. I am glad you are dealing with it good. Best of luck.

Dyna..Sounds like that was just the ticket...Good skills. Next time, and if you want to have the same result without the late night, just look to the ground, hold an eye wide open, put the open end of a bottle of Vodka firmly against it and tilt your head back ! Voila..... And relax ....

Or maybe just some deep breathing and whale song ?

Latest posts

Back