Half Birthday

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wweir

Hello all,

Well tomorrow it will be six months since my surgery. I am proud to report that all is going very well.

I currently exercise about six days a week, after work, for about an hour and a half at the Bryan hospital?s cardio rehab center. On average I do thirty minutes on the treadmill, and then do various times on the bike, nautilus machines, stair stepper and rowing machine. Dropped about 30 lbs and now finding the weight is stable. Blood pressure was 124/82 yesterday and O2 was 97, coumadin has been sitting at 3.4 and I seem to be tolerating it well, so it seems all those systems are a go. Another thing that helps is the fact that I gave up drinking totally about two weeks prior to surgery and currently have no desire to start up again even though the Doctor said I could. In reality I was consuming way to much wine and think it was actually more of a habit than anything else.

Took my first trip since the surgery last week. Went to Boston for a few days, saw the 26 billion dollar dig up close, and stayed in Cambridge. It was quite cold and windy but felt good to travel again and eat real Pizza (east coast style). BTW I went through security with no problem; however they did take my shoes off and run them through the scanner.

Sorry I have not posted so much lately but I do logon every day to see what is happening. I had a fellow who works for me have a mitral valve repair on the 4th of Feb in Omaha at Clarkson hospital. I think in some way my success helped him get over the fear of finally dealing with it. I am happy to report that he was back home in four days and currently doing very well (hug that pillow). I told him about the site and I know he has been on line to look at it but not signed up yet. Bit on the shy side I think.

As I read the stories of the new folks on the site I find myself thinking back to those days last summer when I was going through what they are. I remember how you all helped me deal with the fear by sharing your great knowledge and support. Ross and all his great advice, Bill Aldridge, Scottie, Hensylee, Johnnie, John, Granbonny, Nancy and all the other great folks who take the time to post regularly and help and inspire so many people day in and day out. You really are a special group of people and my family and I thank you all from the bottom of my fixed heart.

So I would like to raise a toast to you all of you on this special half birthday of mine.

Thanks,

Walter

Happy Half Birthday Walter!

You know, if they took my shoes off, they would immediately know that there is a problem. They would have to evacuate the immediate area until the odor passed. :D Do you think that would earn me a title of chemical weapon?

Sounds like things are going well for you. I hope that continues for years to come. Enjoy your new life. You've certainly earned it! :)

Last edited:
Hey Walter!

Hey Walter!

I was so happy to read your post ...it's great to hear from you and to see that you are doing so well. We went through a lot together ..there might be an ocean between us but I feel a connection in understanding to folk here that simply doesn't exsist with people outside . Like has been said before you've got to go through it to understand it.
Well done with the weight and good for you on the wine .
If you're ever in my neck of the woods let me know ...we can share a cuppa together ...
Take care and keep in touch
Scottie

Hi Walter-

What a fantastic post. You sound so well and I'm so glad things are going along smoothly for you. It seems like yesterday that you were going "under the knife". Time flies.

May you have 100 more wonderful years.

Congratualations Walter!!!
Keep up the good work. I cant wait to get started in cardiac rehab. My orienatation is Feb 26...I hope I do as well as you have.
God bless you.

:)

All Good!

All Good!

Hello Walter, what a great, uplifting post to read! You sound really well and happy. All my best wishes for many more half-years of the same.

Hi Walter

SOOOOO glad to hear of your 6monthaversary!!!! I'll have a glass of wine for you tonight!!!! Keep being well!!! LIFE IS GOOD, ISN'T IT!!!!

Evelyn

Oh, Walter,

What a great post. You know that your surgery was the same day I had my cath, and I was really scared of that. The next week I helped my son move. I have been gone this week end helping him(Vince) move again in preparation for the arrival of twins next month. I feel pretty much completely healed, I even sneeze with little side effect.

You are certainly my hero and lead the way for me to my own calmness and resolve about the surgery. Thanks again.

Scottie, you are my "stable mate" since you went two days before I did and encourged me right up to the end.

Again, Walter you have been a great contributor here as have the others you go gratiously mentioned in your post(of course, I still feel like a newbie and interloper here, but everyone sure has been great)

You say things so well, THANKS

Bill

Latest posts

Back