Gums bleeding

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mb

Hi all!

Question...............I did a search, looking for folks who had incidents of gums bleeding while on coumaden. I didn't find anything. My husband has been having this problem each night for about two weeks. His INR on Mondaywas at 2.6. (His theraputic range is 2.5 to 3.5, dual valves and a-fib.) He is having a cystocopy on Friday for gross hematuria (blood in urine).

Has anyone had this happen with their gums bleeding while on coumaden?

Marybeth

Hi Marybeth

On occasion, my gums have bleed on the Coumadin. My first conclusion would be that my INR was too high. Have to be very honest.....that is usually not the case. When I noticed the bleeding,was more often in range than not. Though, it can still be an indicator of a high INR.

Hi Marybeth,

I have had the exact same effects as Gina noted. My INR would be right in range, and at times I would get a gum bleed when I brush. It is minor and does not continue. If it did, then I would be concerned that my INR level may be high. This is what I first thought, but with the home INR testing, I was able to rule my INR being too high out.

I should also mention, that anyone on Coumadin should always gargle with a mouth wash after brushing to avoid any risk of bacteria infection getting into a bleeding gum and causing further heart problems such as endocardidis (sp) Hank.. when ya gonna get Spell check in here... lol..

Rob

Agree with you about gargling Rob. As much as I can't stand the brown Listerine....use religiously!
FYI, Sam's Club sells it in half gallon bottles:D

I've always had pretty sensitive gums so have noticed blood on occasion even before the surgery. In fact, when I was pregnant and all the tissues in my body were swelling, there were occasions when I wondered if there was more blood than toothpaste!

One thing to remember. Our normal INRs would be high INRs for non-tickers. Any little cut is going to bleed more than normal. It's pretty easy to cut the gums, so....

Latest posts

Back