"Growling" sensation when breathing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The mail man

Ok this sounds weird and is hard to describe. Whenever I lay down or sit a certain way in a chair and breath in deeply/exhale, I get this sensation in my left side, at the lower end of my ribcage. At one point I had it on the right side. It feels very similar to when I had bronchitis some years ago but when I had that I felt terrible. Sometimes it will go away for a day then come back. I explained this to our family doctor at my last visit a couple of weeks ago and he was not very concerned. He told me that most likely I had some buildup in my lungs post surgery from not having coughed or sneezed very hard all during that time. Really other than that I feel fine. There are no there are no other problems associated with this. Just wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing. I had my Aortic valve replaced with a mechanical valve on April 17th and am doing well now. Coumadin level stays in check with only 2.5mg/day. Am hoping its just one of those strange post OHS things that will go away in time.

Mail man

It could be your lungs rubbing against the inside of your chest cavity (pleurisy). If you aren't satisfied wth your family doctor's assessment, you should mention it to your cardiologist. If you haven't fully inflated your lungs you could still have congestion in the lower lobes. I'm surprised your family doctor didn't order a chest x-ray. Are you using the incentive spirometer? Do you smoke?

I used the incentive spirometer for only two weeks after I came home from surgery per the cardiologists instructions and quit smoking twenty years ago.
I have no pain, shortness of breath, and did well with my cardio rehab. Soon I will see my doc before returning to work and will tell him again and insist to have a chest x-ray if he doesn't suggest it. I guess in the meantime it wouldn't hurt to start using the incentive spirometer again. I used it just now and am able to draw in twice the air I could last time I had used it. Hopefully this won't amount to anything as I really need to get back to work.

Ok so I went to my Dr. appointment on Tuesday. It was a very similar experience to when your car is making a weird noise. You all know how it goes. Your cars been acting up for a while so you decide to get it checked out and make an apt to see your mechanic. On the way to his shop, the problem goes away. That's what happened to me. As if on command, on the morning I had my appointment, my rattley feeling/sounding chest was smooth as could be. I told him about it again anyway and he carefully listened to my chest front and back and said it sounded fine. That was Tuesday and its been ok ever since. He offered a few more explanations for it which all sounded plausible and I had no need to insist on a chest x-ray after all. Chalk it up to just another bizarre thing that happened after my surgery. Thank you all for reading, hopefully someone else can worry a little less before their next Dr. apt if they are experiencing something similar.

Mail man

i had the same experience in the same area last night. i was afraid to tell my husband didnt want to scare him but i thought i hope its not bronchitis

I think I know the 'sound' that you're talking about. I have had this same sound come from way within my lungs and it's usually been when I've been retaining fluid in my lungs due to bronchitis or respiratory infections.

I too am surprised your doctor hasn't ordered one. Request it.

Take care and glad that you are doing so well otherwise.

One week after I posted this thread and so far so good. Lungs sound and feel clear as can be. Youngmom, if you suspect bronchitis by all means go in and get this checked out. Really you should probably have your Doc check you out anyway just to be sure. I just had a hunch that mine was nothing and was fortunate that it turned out that way. Best to not take any chances especially if you're having any other issues.

You're going to be ok,
Mail man

Back