Golf, travel, etc.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

AJ Golf

I know some of this has been asked before, but I wanted to get some newer up-to-date answers.

1. How long (for those who golf) was it before you went back?

2. How long before you traveled on an airplane halfway across the country?

Plan on at least 6 weeks before thinking of swinging a club. It's hard to say about travel since we all heal at different rates, but I think you'd be fine after 2 or 3 months.

I think you can travel earlier. My surgery was 4 hours from home. The drive home was a piece of cake, and that was less than a week after surgery. You just have to get up and walk around (in a plane) every hour or so to avoid DVT, or clots in your legs. I would say you could fly in 3 or 4 weeks without much problem. To be safe, ask the doctors.

Don't know about golf. I'm 6 weeks out today and I don't think I could swing a club very well. I'm hoping, and I've been told by the doctors, that I can start riding my road bike at 8 weeks, so maybe that is when you could start doing something.

Good questions!

John

AJ,

My surgery was performed out of state. I flew home (hour flight) 5 days after surgery. I do have a suggestion for you even if fly 3 to 4 months after surgery. Be sure you have at least 40 minutes between connecting flights. Even four months I could not walk at my normal pace. I told the travel agent to reschedule my flight. There was no I was going to get to a different terminal in 15 to 20 minutes.

Karl

Golf & Travel

Golf & Travel

My AVR surgery was on March 28. I started hitting golf balls off of a mat with a high tee at six weeks post-op. My chest still felt really tight and would get kinda sore. My surgeon and cardiologist originally told me to wait at least twelve weeks. Neither was upset when they foundout I had started hitting balls early.

I started playing golf regularly at eight weeks post-op. My pull cart got quite a workout over the summer.

I didn't have a reason to fly anywhere until mid-July, so my experience in this area is limited.

As has been stated, the recovery and rehab processes are very individual things. Some folks recover more quickly than others; some revocer more slowly. It's important to follow the advice of your medical team and listen to your body when it tells you what you can do.

-Philip

Lets see, I had my surgery at the end of July and played my first round of 18 holes somewhere around February or March. I celebrated my 1 year anniversary by playing golf 6 times on my vacation!

I am about a 5 handicap. I took some swings at 5 1/2 weeks post-op, just out in my yard, and was VERY sore for a couple of days afterwards. I played my first round at 8 weeks, and it was difficult to make myself hit down on the ball with my irons. I guess my subconscious thought it would hurt. I struggled on the front 9, but finally figured out it wouldn't hurt on the back 9. However, I got very tired by the 16th hole....not necessarily physically tired. I was mentally exhausted from making myself swing "correctly". I played again 2 weeks later and had no problems at all.

I think no matter how long you wait to play, it'll be a struggle at first. It will get better.

Good luck.

Lee

Latest posts

Back