Going in April 2nd

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobados

New to the site and I guess I'm just looking to share and talk to people who have gone through the same things. I'm going in on April 2nd for my 4th OHS, third aortic valve replacement, I'm 41. Anyone else gone in for multiples? I'm scared as this one seems to be more risky for the obvious reasons. Guess I'm just looking to share and get some feelings out.

Hi yes my husband has had 4 ohs. He had two aortic valve replacements. Yes, his is leaking again. He has a severe mitral valve regurg right now. We are possibly pending our 5th ohs depending on the results of the tee next week. Where are you having surgery?

Well we have had one at Sequoia in Redwood City, two at Cedars Sinai in LA, and now our surgeon has moved to St. Johns in Santa Monica. But thinking since possibly a 5th would like to send his records etc. back to Cleveland for review. I spoke with them a year ago and it's a fee to do a review but I think worth it. I like to always get second opinions. Our surgeon has been with us for two of the ohs. Really have total confidence in him. Did you mention why another aortic replacement?

Hi Pellicle, from what I've read I should probably go mechanical, but I'm going with another pig valve. I don't like the idea of blood thinners, and my surgeon doesn't seem to be a fan either. I lead a fairly active lifestyle. What did you go with?

Mascasa;n854796 said:
Well we have had one at Sequoia in Redwood City, two at Cedars Sinai in LA, and now our surgeon has moved to St. Johns in Santa Monica. But thinking since possibly a 5th would like to send his records etc. back to Cleveland for review. I spoke with them a year ago and it's a fee to do a review but I think worth it. I like to always get second opinions. Our surgeon has been with us for two of the ohs. Really have total confidence in him. Did you mention why another aortic replacement?

Mascasa, I had a pig valve done at age 27, basically got the expectancy out of it. Crazy how fast it went though, in November I had echoes and other test and it was functioning perfectly...then mid February I started having symptoms... I guess a leaflet went bad and started having regurge

My husband had a medtronic mechanical first. Found out it developed valvular strands which may have broken off and caused a stroke. So second one was bovine. Unfortunately, because he developed a staph infection within a week of surgery in the sternum, the new valve didn't have a chance to heal properly. So it is leaking again. Moderately leaking. It's the mitral valve that is now causing us concern. On the severe side 1 1/2 years ago. So now we see what tee shows in a week. Ugh.... That is fast from November to February to develop symptoms. May I ask do you have a bicuspid valve?

Hi

Bobados;n854804 said:
Hi Pellicle, from what I've read I should probably go mechanical, but I'm going with another pig valve. I don't like the idea of blood thinners, and my surgeon doesn't seem to be a fan either. I lead a fairly active lifestyle. What did you go with?

ATS mechanical, but after 2 prior surgeries a third was hopefully going to be my last. I'm quite active and I'm ok with Anti-Coagulation ("blood thinners" ) which these days is very well managed.

you said earlier
I'm scared as this one seems to be more risky for the obvious reasons.

when I was facing my 3rd operation (I was 48) my surgeon said to me that this operation was going to be more difficult than the previous one, and that risk wen up even more for the one after that. He didn't exactly say it, but to me the evidence pointed to I should have a mechanical and get out of the cycle of reops. I did not know anything about AC therapy at the time but I became quite the student. To be honest from my position of ignorance back then I was anxious about AC therapy.

You are not old yet. The younger and more active you are the more you should consider a pyrolytic bileaflet like the ATS or On-X if you ask me. There are sound reasons to avoid AC, but if you don't have those sound medical reasons then to me the rest is just ignorance based fears. Old fashioned medicos are usually the least educated in the modern use of PoC (point of care) tools AC therapy. Since and before my valve change I travel the world about as much as I ever have. I spend 2014 in Finland, I'm back in Australia now, and will probably be back to Finland in 2016 where I'm planning to backpack around Ireland in the summer (gotta try the whisky in every town).

Of course I do not know your circumstances well, and you should go with what your heart tells you

Just curious....I Had a bovine on 6/5/2013 and they detected a leak two months ago. Is this really common? And are some people able to get 10 years or better out of their valve with a "slight" murmur?

Latest posts

Back