Getz surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Getzfixed

I thought I'd write before I left for the hospital to let everyone know Bill had his surgery and is doing great. He got in around 1 pm and was done at 8:30 p.m He chose the Bilynx valve but, that one only goes up to 29 mm. After they got in they needed a 33 mm, so he ticks. I actually think this is what he originally wanted but wanted to at least try the experimental.
I have to say I am very glad yesterday is over. The sitting around waiting was very tough on Bill and the waiting for the family was draining. But the worst was seeing him after. I was warned by so many people of what to expect, and it still threw me. I can't wait to go today and see him up and around.
I want to thank everyone again for their support through this. I'm sure when Bill gets home next week he'll be writing to update how he feels, and I'm sure he'll have a million and two questions for all the people with mechanical valves. Thanks again. Julie

Great news Julie-

Send him our best and tell him to take it easy for a little while, because they'll have him working hard pretty soon on walking, coughing and the other things they can do to torture you in the hospital.

We'll all want to hear his first hand report when he's able.

Dear Julie - thanks for letting us know that Bill is through the surgery. He will be much better to look at in coming days. I recall that after surgery, all was blurry, but I can see my little boy's tears now (he's 35 y.o, but still little boy to me). That's all I could see - his eyes as he looked down at me and they were so full of tears - so I know how you felt. Know it hurt you to see him that way - and absolutely no one can prepare you for it. But, my dear, that was yesterday and today will better - and tomorrow - and tomorrow...... God bless:)

Good News

Good News

Delighted to hear that Bill's surgery went well ...it must be a shock to see him all wired up ..but soon he'll be back to an even better version of himself ....hope his recovery continues to go well ..take care ..best wishes
Scottie

Hi Julie
please give Bill my best wishes, as each day passes he will get stronger and before you know it he will soon be home with you and feeling so much better
best wishes
Jan

Hi Julie
I'm so glad that the surgery is over and all went well. I know what a shock it is ..even when you're prepared..to see a loved on after sugery in the ICU..Allan says he had a tough time seeing me in that condition..and he had been very prepared. Every day will be better from now on..and before you know it he will be home again and you can treat him like the true prince he is:)
Thank you for posting..please post again when you have time and update us!
Joan

good news

good news

Good news, Julie,
I'm glad Bill came through well.For the patient, ICU is a blur with the exception of those fantastic ice cubes which are the most wonderful stuff ever.i remember my hubby being there and rubbing my feet...but HE had to see all the tubes and stuff and tell me how good I looked when I woke up... meanwhile my mum cleaned every nook and cranny, back home , in my kitchen.The whole family and friends travel this journey with us who have the op, love to you and Bill.
debs xxx

THANK YOU :)

THANK YOU :)

I want to thank everyone for their well wishes. I know Bill and I seem to have been a little more stressed and uptight about this than most, and we are thankful everything turned out as well as it did. The surgeon even said after surgery that Bill was "freaked out" going in. Bill is doing great, he wanted me to let everyone know. He should be out by the weekend, hopefully by Saturday so he can watch the Eagles. All the staff on his floor are amazed at how quickly he's up and around. His biggest challenge has been the breathing. He is trying to get the ball to the top right away. And of course he can't. He actually did get it to the top and pulled a muscle. That scared him enough to slow down. But he does feel great. He'll be online soon to give him an update.
julie

Hi Julie:

Glad to hear Bill came through well. I know what you mean when you say scared.

And yes, Deb. all I can remember of ICU is the ice chips and how welcom they were.

Each day will get better and better.

Aida

Blowin on that thang isn't a contest - tell him. He'll get to take it home and practice! So glad he's up and around. Now, one day soon, he will know that he's going to be brand new. God bless

coming home

coming home

They are telling him today, or definately tomorrow for coming home. We had a minor set back earlier this week. It seems after the surgeon opened him up there was a pocket of white "goo" he sent it to the lab stat and it came back fine. But 2 days later one colony grew so they are worried he might have an infection around the heart. Actually the doctor on the floor and the team from infectious disease said they don't feel it is anything. The surgeon is concerned so they are sending him home with a pic line for 6 weeks. I guess a few times a day we have to empty a iv bag in. A home nurse will be coming to visit. We are just taking this one day at a time. I'll have to get used to the ticking. Everytime he gets more news that stresses him I can hear the tick get faster. I told him he'll never be able to lie to me again I'll be able to hear if he is lying. Julie

Hi Julie-

Sorry that Bill has had a little setback. Sometimes these things happen, but eventually everything will straighten out and he'll be feeling fine. Sounds as if the doctors are on top of the situation and will keep a watchful eye on your husband.

My best to both of you.

Oh, wow - is he in trouble now if his ticker changes pace under stress. Guess you will be able to read his mind!

Sorry about the infection, but it will go away, with attention of drs, I'm sure. Know you will be happy to have him home.
God bless

Home yet?

Home yet?

Hi Julie,

I hope Bill is home by now and getting ready to watch the Eagles this afternoon.
I know he'll be very happy when he does get home, just to be with you and the 4 girls again.

I'll bet you live in the southern part of NJ. Trenton seems to be the dividing line between the NY fans and the Phila. sports fans.

Where did Bill go for his surgery?

I'll be watching for your future posts to see how Bill's recovery is going. I hope it is problem free.

Best of luck --- Ron K

keeping him longer

keeping him longer

Hi, well I wish I could say that Bill was here with me now to watch the game but he's not. His INR isn't where they want it yet sothey are keeping him until Mon. He is very upset. They are sending him home with a pic line, he needs to be on it for 8 weeks. A home nurse will be stopping in every week to check up. Yes Ron we are from south jersey (haddonfield) Bill had his surgery at UPenn, it's only a 20 min ride for us with no traffic. Our biggest complaint is one hand doesn't seem to talk to the other on the floor. All the Dr.s and nurses we saw yesterday were sayin "oh you'll be home tomorrow" then at around 5 the surgeons 'fellow' came in and said "you'll be out of here Mon" which wouldn't had bothered us if noone had said you'll be home Sat. Another thing is when the nurses change shift nothig gets checked. Bill has been getting his coumadin at 9 every night the third night he was in HE had to go in the hall at 12:30 to say he needed to have his coumadin. I know I'm new at this but from what I have read you need to be on a pretty even schedule when taking your coumadin. 3 and a half hours late seems a little off to me. It will be nice to have him home. I'm sure our story is not that much different from most of the post ops it's just frustrating. Julie

hi julie!
i'm glad bill will be coming home on monday. just try and be patient with this recovery thing; i know it can be disappointing. when joey was in the hospital we thought he'd be out in 4 days, until he went into afib and they ended up keeping him 3 extra days to medicate him and control them. in the meantime, they wouldn't let him walk at all, which really upset him a lot. then, after he got home, he thought he'd be up and around in no time and we both learned that patience plays a really big part in this. some folks have been so fortunate to have been released from the hospital in a few days and others have spoken/written of very quick recoveries.... that_and we learned the hard way_ is not always the case.
we are all here to keep you company as you both go through this. just remember, the worst is truly over. now it's just a matter of time and taking it easy.
please keep us posted, and God bless you both,
sylvia

Hi Julie-

There are always little glitches after surgery. Inr's not right, afib, bleeding, breathing not up to snuff. It's complicated surgery and lots of body systems are affected. Joe's been where Bill is now, really upset that he couldn't go home because his INR wasn't where it should be, and he had already been told that he would be going home. Being in the hospital is dreary. When this happened, I got permission to bring some regular food from the cafeteria, and we were able to wheel his pole into the solarium and sit at a table for his meals. That was more normal and it helped. I also was able to bring some little ice cream treats for his dessert. Just something different. no biggy, but it broke the dreariness and disappointment. I also brought a tiny gift, plus the newspaper that we love to read together. Sort of a mini celebration.

For everyone who is having surgery, even in the hospital, you have to be on top of everything. Things can and do fall through the cracks, and the nurses are vastly overworked. It's good to be vigilant and to ask for help when it's warranted. It sometimes takes a long time to answer the nurse call button.

Next week, for sure!

Next week, for sure!

Hi Julie,

I was sorry to hear that Bill didn't get released on Saturday as you were both expecting. It does sound pretty definite for Monday, which can't come soon enough for either of you, I'm sure.

I hope Bill got to see the game in the hospital. Did He? It turned out to be a pretty good game, at least for the Eagle fans. (Sorry about that, Perry.) Bill will have another chance to watch his favorite team next week, and hopefully again the following week in the Super Bowl.

Rob thats me-- I'm beginning to worry about the last line in your recent post "Cold 'huff for ya?" If the Patriots can find a way to get past Pittsburg, there's a chance that hell may freeze over!

On a more serious note, Julie, thanks for the info about the nursing care at UPenn. My wife made a special note to be sure to follow up with the nursing staff regularly to make sure I get all my meds as per the MD's orders. We've talked with others who had heart surgery there and they didn't have any complaints. I'm hoping that Bill's case was an exception and not the rule, especially since I've been warned by other members here that I may be less alert than normal for the first few days.

Hug your girls and get them ready for Daddy to come home tomorrow. Best wishes, Ron

Back