Getting ready for an cardiac angiogram.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
on my angiogram it was through the groin, I was awake and watching. The operator seemed to forget this and when he made the verbal note "coronary artery is in excellent condition" I spoke for the first time and said "well, that's good to hear" ... poor fella just about jumped (that thing on the slab spoke to me)
Mine, when the doctor said all clear, I said yeah and we all laughed. LOL!

I am sure they gave a sedative to relax you first, then numbed the area like mine was. They do not knock you out unless it is requested. And I did not hurt when I pulled the bandage off, I was home when I did it two days later.
I made it clear I didn't want any sedation and they agreed. Someone on this board posted she didn't have sedation which is how I learned it was an option. If I experienced pain during the procedure, I could ask for it, but I didn't need it.

The bandage I'm talking about was one they placed on my stomach, just above the groin. They didn't shave the area, so it was painful when they pulled the bandage off. I made sure when I had TAVR to ask them to shave everywhere a bandage might be applied.

When I had stents put in, they strongly recommended sedation, so I asked for the minimum necessary. Same with TAVR. Stents were a piece of cake but I had to ask for more sedation at the end of the TAVR procedure when they move the valve into place.

Well I’m clear . Very minimal calcification on a few arteries. Nothing to worry about. Was not fully asleep and could feel them moving throughout my veins and arteries . Kinda of creepy. No pain.

Glad it went ok. Did they go in via the wrist or the groin? There have been some comments regarding the different options, and I think the reason they went through the groin for me was because I have reduced sized arteries (or veins?) because of being an insulin dependent diabetic, and so those in my arms were not marge enough for the probe.

Last edited:
Glad it went ok. Did they go in via the wrist or the groin? There have been some comments regarding the different options, and I think the reason they went through the groin for me was because I have reduced sized arteries (or veins?) because of being an insulin dependent diabetic, and so those in my arms were not marge enough for the probe.

They went in through the wrist. My surgeon likes the wrist and will do everything possible to go that route. They shaved everywhere 😬 so he had plenty of options.!

They did say my right side of my heart was a little enlarged and wanted me to have a cardiac mri. He didn’t seem to concerned, but still freaking me out a little bit.

I had one 2 years ago due to a stress test that showed issues. They initially went in thru the wrist, but said due to twisted arteries they had to also go in from the groin. Doc said my arteries were better than the last angiogram and stress test was wrong. One artery about 30%. I had been told to plan on at least a stent and possibly bypass.

Back