Getting Brain MRI on Wednesday

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill, congrats on the normal results! Thank you for your very informative posts. They have given me lots of questions to ask and that is good. Have you made a decision on the valve yet?

Nadine
No. I'm putting it off a bit, maybe hoping something will make the decision for me. The brain scan might have, but the normal result, which is great, means all options are still open. They told me I do not need to tell them until the day of surgery, and I've confirmed they will install whatever I want regardless of whether it has a conduit attached already. Dr. Miller isn't convinced by the data for 20 year+ no re-op. I've only superfically looked at it. I have a fair amount of training and experience in evaluating clinical trials and I can usually spot flaws. There are some statistical methods used in these trials that can be misleading, but I'm not saying they are or are not. Also, it's important to keep in mind that some things are not knowable, and that sometimes the decision you make ends up being more or less going with your gut instinct. Much of my life has involved choosing between two closely matched or difficult to evaluate options. In the end I just had to make a choice, and I always thought later that I made the right choice. I'll be getting on it in the next few days, but I wouldn't be surprised if I can't make a fully rational decision after looking at the available information. And honestly, I probably should just do what my obviously very knowledgeable surgeon has recommended, and so should everyone else, but I need to at least take a good look at the other side as well.

Bill

Heart/Brain Study

Heart/Brain Study

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery. Thought you'd be interested in the study I am now participating in at Brown University. It's called a Heart/Brain study and our group is divided equally between those with and without heart disease. I had AVR last February and now have a bovine valve. The study consists of 3 sessions: a paper and pencil test--primary memory and problem solving exercises ranging from the very easy to the very difficult; a detailed echocardiogram; and a brain MRI that involves answering questions during the process. I've completed the first two phases and still have the MRI to go. I decided to participate after I experienced difficulty in concentrating and reading for extended periods of time following my surgery. That "Fog" has since lifted and I now think it might have been associated with the infamous "pump head" that many others on this site have spoken about. The good news is that once you get to the other side of the mountain, it's a short trip until you start to feel back to normal. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Jane

Thank you, Jane. I just talked today to a friend's father who has had 2 AVRs and has had essentially no problems. Didn't make my choise any easier, but it was very reassuring to hear about his experience. He had very little trouble with recovery, had a pig valve for 15 years and now a mechanical valve, and doesn't find any significant difference.

Latest posts

Back