Generic warfarin vs. Coumadin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Kaiser in Denver probably has more people enrolled in their anticoagulation clinic than another place in the US. They published a study showing what happened when they switched over 2,000 people from Coumadin to generic warfarin. This is the largest study yet.

This prompted me to write a review of the medical literature comparing the products.

It is available at http://www.warfarinfo.com/generic.htm

Al,
That certainly is interesting but knowing how my cardiologist feels about switching and seeing my wifes problem first hand I don't think I could ever become comfortable enough to try it.
Certainly there are financial advantages to doing so.
I also feel since my INR has never been out of range in almost seven years I won't take any unnecessary chances.
Your point is well taken however regarding vacations, etc.
Apparently people lose their focus during these time and pay the price for it.
I firmly beleive consistency is the key to keeping your INR in range.

Just got back from a three week business trip to NYC and am going to get my INR checked later this week. I tried to be careful with diet & activity while I was gone, but I guess we'll see. I'll report back as soon as I get the numbers.
And to make things even more interesting, we have house guests coming next weekend. Guess I'm putting it to the test!

Mark

Allodwick

Allodwick

Thanks for the updated information, I'm on the generic, it's good to know it's compatible with it's counterpart.

Terry40

Just found that my INR has dropped to 2.0 as the result of my three week business trip to NYC. There is something to be said for keeping a regular schedule and diet. Living in a hotel and eating out every meal just isn't the same as being at home.
Will be bumping up the dosage for a couple of days to get back in range.

Mark

Latest posts

Back