from heart center online-statins-stenosis

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hensylee

For your information:

Cholesterol drugs may slow valve disorder
Dec 02 (Reuters Health) - A widely prescribed class of cholesterol-lowering drugs may slow the progression of a heart-valve disorder, according to the results of a new study.

If the findings are confirmed, the drugs, known as statins, could turn out to be the first drug treatment for the valve disorder, which is currently treated with surgery.

Aortic stenosis causes the valve to the aorta, which is the body's largest artery, to become narrower and narrower. Eventually, this stenosis can block the flow of blood from the heart to the aorta, leading to complications including heart failure. Surgery to insert a new valve can correct the condition, but treatment is controversial, with some physicians recommending a wait-and- see approach.

Some experts suspect that high cholesterol levels contribute to the progression of aortic stenosis just as they hasten the clogging of arteries, but research on the connection between cholesterol and aortic stenosis has been mixed.

In the new study, Dr. Maurice Enriquez-Sarano and colleagues at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, looked at 156 people with aortic stenosis who were followed for roughly 4 years.

Although cholesterol was not linked to aortic stenosis, the valve condition progressed more slowly in people who were taking cholesterol-lowering statin medications.

The study does not prove that statins were the reason aortic stenosis progressed less rapidly, but Enriquez-Sarano and his colleagues conclude that the results justify a clinical trial of the treatment.

Though statins were designed to lower cholesterol, the researchers suspect that other effects of the drugs, possibly their anti-inflammatory actions, may account for the slowing of aortic stenosis. This study is not the first time that statins have been suspected of providing benefits besides reducing the risk of heart attack and stroke. The drugs are being studied for the treatment of other diseases, including Alzheimer's disease and multiple sclerosis.

The study seems "to offer the promise that a safe and effective medical therapy for aortic stenosis is not just wishful thinking," Dr. Alan S. Pearlman, of the University of Washington School of Medicine in Seattle, writes in an editorial that accompanies the study.

Pearlman points out that studying the effect of statins on aortic stenosis will not be easy, given that many patients with the condition have other cardiovascular risk factors, such as high cholesterol and high blood pressure, that may make it difficult to assign them to a placebo rather than a statin. Despite this problem, such studies are necessary, according to Pearlman, because aortic stenosis "is too prevalent, and its consequences too important, to ignore."

SOURCE: Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2002;40:1723- 1730, 1731.

That is a very interesting article.
The bad thing about statins though is all the possible side effects which can affect your liver,damage your muscles(and your heart is a muscle).
My wife has gone through four different one so far and has terrible reactions to all of them.
I think taking Niacin might be the next step.
Others we know taking statins have no problem with them at all.

Yes, of course you are right in the muscle cramping. I am on Lipitor. I got entire body cramps - and dr said my numbers were good so I could stop them and try the non chemical medicines, which I did. Next test showed numbers back up so I went back on Lipitor and this time all turned out ok. My cardio's nurseaide told me to add CoQ10 along w/Lipitor to help this. Never got too serious about the addition, so don't take it anymore. No problems now.

Ain't it a shame that medicines do good for us in one category, but affect us badly in another, i.e. liver, etc.

Good stuff, Hensylee!

Good stuff, Hensylee!

Thanks for posting this information. I am currently on Lipitor and have not experienced any side-effects. Awareness is the key, so I am prepared to test (liver condition, etc.) at least twice yearly. I'm also on a beta-blocker (Toprol), an ace-inhibitor (Altace) and a calcium channel blocker (Norvasc for BP).

Although I appear to be a walking druggy, I feel good and my lifestyle has changed dramatically over the past two years. I think my docs have found a pretty good balance for me with these medications, so as long as I can still afford to purchase them God willing, I hope I can maintain this status-quo now forever! April 03 will be my 3rd anniversary.

Understandably drugs affect people differently. I've heard that CoQ10 is not recommended for people who take Coumadin and I've also heard if one goes off a statin their Cholesterol count will return to prior unsatisfactory levels. This double edge sword is sure not welcome in many of our cases!!

Two yrs. ago I tried to control my cholesterol #'s via a natural approach with a combination of a suplement called Red Yeast Rice, diet and increased exercise. This worked for awhile and impressively saw my total # drop by 40 points. For unknown reasons, after 6 months my total re-spiked to a total of 234! Considering that RYR was becoming less available I had no choice but to go on the statin. 3 months later my total # was back down to 181 and the other 3 categories showed healthy improvements as well.

My hope is that these statins keep right on working as well as the research thinks they do. Having already been "retrofitted" with St. Jude mechanicals I can only hope that I'm "cured" because there should be no more stenosis present in my ticker. Keeping all my veins happy and healthy is my only priority now.

Thanks again.

Happy Holidaze!

This cholestorel thing is kind of strange.
A number of years ago mine was at about 250 which was just fine in those days as some of our older members will recall.
Then when it was time for my surgery they checked it and it was 170.
Why I have no idea since I didn't do anything different for all those years,no diet change and no lifestyle changes.
Go figure?

I started on Zocor on October 23. I fought against this and tried everything I knew. It really does scare me because I do know one person who had terrible trouble. Still, I keep counting the people I know who are just fine. Our doctor takes Zocor. Today we received the results of Albert's test--255. Doctor wants him to go on medication too. He already takes so many other medications. He has an appointment tomorrow. Just one more thing to worry about. The article did brighten my day. It's good to know that some people may attain great benefits from statin drugs.
Blanche

Latest posts

Back