Friends OHS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherbam

I just spent the day at Mass General while a friend of mine had OHS for a AVR by the same surgeon who replaced my three valves. It is such a strange experience being a visitor. My surgery was over two years ago but it brought back a lot of memories (mostly good) that I had forgotten. My friend did great:) . Four hour surgery and was chatting and thanking me for all of the pre-surgery info I had given him. Very very strange to be back in the ICU because I was in such a fog there. Now I would like to observe an OHS at a hospital. Has anyone ever been in the Operating Room and viewed an actual OHS after theirs ?

Wow you are brave! I don't think I could support someone else through what I went through, although it might be good therapy for me I don't think I would be a very positive influence on another person going through the same thing! Good on you for looking after your friend like that :)

I had emergency bypass surgery at MGH by Dr. Alan Hildenburg. My memory of CICU post surgery is very vague. I remember days I spent there pre-surgery a little more clearly.

Which surgeon did your friend and your surgeries?

Wishing him an uneventful, great recovery. You are a good friend!

Cherbam, do you have a MENDED HEARTS chapter up there? I volunteered
for them for three years after my surgery and found it very rewarding and think I did some good.

Absolutely Marty!

Absolutely Marty!

Marty said:
Cherbam, do you have a MENDED HEARTS chapter up there? I volunteered
for them for three years after my surgery and found it very rewarding and think I did some good.

The founder of Mended Hearts was Chief of Cardiology at that hospital for most of the last half of the 20th century almost till his death in 1993. He also did the first heart valve replacement there. Who was that surgeon? Dr. Dwight E. Harken. Now can anybody* guess where he got the parts for his first implant that lasted 22 years? Hint: Marty might guess this one.

*HV@50 members and their families can not participate in this question, as it would be so unfair!;) :p :D

Jkm7/Marty

Jkm7/Marty

My friend and I had Dr.Gus Vlahakes. He is such a great surgeon. Straight shooter. My friend (84) was only in ICU for one day. Although I was so excited for him, I was a little envious because I spent three days in ICU for three new valves. Okay, I'm over it. :rolleyes: but I do not know of any Mended Hearts Groups here. I really enjoyed talking with people whose family member was having surgery. I had inquired before about volunteering in the cardiac unit at Mass General but they said you cannot just volunteer for one area. I would volunteer anywhere. I am going to ask around again when I visit my friend this week.

I've heard lots of good things about Dr. Vlahakes.
Chances are when/if I have to have my mitral valve worked on, I will seek out Dr. Hilgenberg. He did take very good care of me the first time. I met him under very difficult circumstances (for me :) ) and he was wonderful.

Glad to hear your friend has made it out of ICU already. Good for him. Hope he continues to do wonderfully and has a great recovery.

BTW...... the mention of mended hearts brings to mind that MGH did not give small heart 'cough' pillows when I was there (2003). At least I never was given one.

Latest posts

Back