Fore!!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwusko

Any golfers out there???...

I'm 7-weeks post-op...any advice on when I can swing a golf club again?...I live in N'east Ohio, so the season is extremely short...my goal is to play a round (good or bad) before the snow flies...I might be fueling the addiction by playing Tiger Woods on X-box continuously during recovery...

Jeff
AVR July 6th
Dr. Mee, CCF

Dick was given the go ahead to play at 3 months post-op. That should mean the end of September, beginning of Oct. for you- plenty of time before the snow flies! :)

Old clicker said:
I was told I could play at 4 months. I thought "thats great", because what I was diong before couldnt be classed as playing.

I was hoping to trade one "slice" for another...I'd like to at least get to a driving range for a bucket of balls...

jwusko said:
Any golfers out there???...

I'm 7-weeks post-op...any advice on when I can swing a golf club again?...I live in N'east Ohio, so the season is extremely short...my goal is to play a round (good or bad) before the snow flies...I might be fueling the addiction by playing Tiger Woods on X-box continuously during recovery...

Jeff
AVR July 6th
Dr. Mee, CCF

I went out and played at just over five weeks out. My chest still hurt on both sides of the incision (incision area felt fine) and my right shoulder was still numb from being hooked up to the heart/lung machine. I was afraid of "doing damage" to my chest muscles, so I didn't take full swings.

I was suprised at having no additional pain later or the next day. I didn't hit the ball very far but it felt good just to get out.

Do some stretching before going off to see how far you can go with your chest muscles. If you can get a full swing w/o feeling any pain or tightness, you should be fine.

901 said:
I went out and played at just over five weeks out. My chest still hurt on both sides of the incision (incision area felt fine) and my right shoulder was still numb from being hooked up to the heart/lung machine. I was afraid of "doing damage" to my chest muscles, so I didn't take full swings.

I was suprised at having no additional pain later or the next day. I didn't hit the ball very far but it felt good just to get out.

Do some stretching before going off to see how far you can go with your chest muscles. If you can get a full swing w/o feeling any pain or tightness, you should be fine.

Holy smokes - 5 weeks!!!...You are a die-hard...I have my cardio follow-up soon...if I get a green light, I might even make the league's fall trip...

I'm 3 months post-op and went to the range at 5 weeks. Didn't do very well but it gave me hope. I've been playing every weekend since 7 weeks... getting easier every week. Actually, I've only been playing for 2 years... this experience has actually improved my game... Because I had to slow down my swing when I first went out, I've now got much better control. My drives before the surgery were about 150-165 yards. When I went to the range at 5 weeks my drives were about 60 yards. I'm back upto a good 150 yards now. The thing you really want to watch out for is hitting the ground if you start early. I teed my ball pretty high so I wouldn't run that risk... worked like a charm.

At 2 months the dr said putting only, no chipping, but my body said otherwise :D

Take it easy and definitely stretch first... and don't hit the ground!

Cris N said:
I'm 3 months post-op and went to the range at 5 weeks. Didn't do very well but it gave me hope. I've been playing every weekend since 7 weeks... getting easier every week. Actually, I've only been playing for 2 years... this experience has actually improved my game... Because I had to slow down my swing when I first went out, I've now got much better control. My drives before the surgery were about 150-165 yards. When I went to the range at 5 weeks my drives were about 60 yards. I'm back upto a good 150 yards now. The thing you really want to watch out for is hitting the ground if you start early. I teed my ball pretty high so I wouldn't run that risk... worked like a charm.

At 2 months the dr said putting only, no chipping, but my body said otherwise :D

Take it easy and definitely stretch first... and don't hit the ground!

5-weeks seems to be a consensus...looks like I'm heading to the driving range this weekend, I think I'll start w/ fairway metals to reduce the likely hood of taking a divot...

Latest posts

Back