For Those Who Are Afraid Pre-Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bionic Orange

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I had my SAVR done almost 3 months ago. I was very fearful going in. The things that helped me the most with my fear were Bellaruth Naparstek’s guided meditations (especially the cardiac rehab, anxiety and panic, and relaxation meditations), walking in nature daily, and leaning on something that gave me strength.

It’s important to lean on something that gives you strength, whatever that is for you. For me, it was my Scottish ancestors who were a tough bunch. I thought about them for months and drew on them for my strength.

Many of you would say the following experience is coincidence, but for me it was a sign that my Scottish ancestors were helping me out. The day before my surgery while I was walking the seawall in Vancouver, I saw and listened to a young Scottish man who was a busker, playing a bagpipe, and wearing a kilt in Canada. In my 65 years, I’ve seen hundreds of buskers - never one playing a bagpipe, never one wearing a kilt, and never one with a nice Scottish accent. (I have never been to Scotland). The very small odds of this happening the day before my surgery could have been coincidence, but for me, I knew and believed differently.

You will see this Scottish young man in the video below. My wife documented The First Twelve Days of my surgical journey. She did this because she thought that in the months ahead I might be whining and complaining, so she wanted to remind me of how well I did, and how far I’ve come.

I was discharged 7 days post-op instead of 5 days post-op because I ran into a minor complication that resolved quickly. I stayed a little longer in the big city before flying back home because where I live rurally, this type of specialized cardiac care medicine is non-existent, so I went home on day 11 post-op.

I will be kick-sledding this winter, and in the spring of next year, mountain hiking 6000 feet.

All the best to you newbies. I was in your shoes not long ago. This forum has helped me so much with having a positive outlook toward this process. I hope this short video helps you.

With gratitude,

Will

Last edited:
Ancestral Mathematics.jpg

I had my SAVR done almost 3 months ago. I was very fearful going in. The things that helped me the most with my fear were Bellaruth Naparstek’s guided meditations (especially the cardiac rehab, anxiety and panic, and relaxation meditations), walking in nature daily, and leaning on something that gave me strength.

It’s important to lean on something that gives you strength, whatever that is for you. For me, it was my Scottish ancestors who were a tough bunch. I thought about them for months and drew on them for my strength.

Many of you would say the following experience is coincidence, but for me it was a sign that my Scottish ancestors were helping me out. The day before my surgery while I was walking the seawall in Vancouver, I saw and listened to a young Scottish man who was a busker, playing a bagpipe, and wearing a kilt in Canada. In my 65 years, I’ve seen hundreds of buskers - never one playing a bagpipe, never one wearing a kilt, and never one with a nice Scottish accent. (I have never been to Scotland). The very small odds of this happening the day before my surgery could have been coincidence, but for me, I knew and believed differently.

You will see this Scottish young man in the video below. My wife documented The First Twelve Days of my surgical journey. She did this because she thought that in the months ahead I might be whining and complaining, so she wanted to remind me of how well I did, and how far I’ve come.

I was discharged 7 days post-op instead of 5 days post-op because I ran into a minor complication that resolved quickly. I stayed a little longer in the big city before flying back home because where I live rurally, this type of specialized cardiac care medicine is non-existent, so I went home on day 11 post-op.

I will be kick-sledding this winter, and in the spring of next year, mountain hiking 6000 feet.

All the best to you newbies. I was in your shoes not long ago. This forum has helped me so much with having a positive outlook toward this process. I hope this
short video helps you.

With gratitude,

Will

Thank you so much for sharing. I choked up a little watching your video and remembering my own journey (and my loving wife). There’s a grand opportunity on the other side of this. It’s up to each one of to make the most of it.

All the best to you newbies. I was in your shoes not long ago. This forum has helped me so much with having a positive outlook toward this process. I hope this short video helps you.

With gratitude,

Will

Thank you for documenting your journey of recovery. What a wonderful thing to do for yourself and for others who might be about to go into surgery. Very inspiring. Hope you are continuing to keep well. I am heading into surgery for my second OHS valve replacement on March 12th and appreciate reading about your journey and recovery here.

Thank you for documenting your journey of recovery. What a wonderful thing to do for yourself and for others who might be about to go into surgery. Very inspiring. Hope you are continuing to keep well. I am heading into surgery for my second OHS valve replacement on March 12th and appreciate reading about your journey and recovery here.
Hi Sandra,

Thank you for your post. I am doing well in my recovery. I'm 6 months post op and I have been kicksledding and hiking elevation throughout our cold snowy winter. I'm feeling stronger every day and I am getting better and better in every way.

Sandra, I wish you well with your surgery. I wish you a quick and full recovery. I know that you have got this!

Hi Sandra,

Thank you for your post. I am doing well in my recovery. I'm 6 months post op and I have been kicksledding and hiking elevation throughout our cold snowy winter. I'm feeling stronger every day and I am getting better and better in every way.

Sandra, I wish you well with your surgery. I wish you a quick and full recovery. I know that you have got this!
That is so good to hear. Thank you kindly for your reply. I hope to do as well as you in recovery. Hiking slopes - here I come :)

Latest posts

Back