Foot pain

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

GregB

Has anyone suffered discomfort/pain in the feet in the months post surgery?

I am 5 months down the track ( Mechanical AV and Aortic aneurysm repair) and getting along fine. I am keen to follow a regular exercise program involving mainly walking interspersed with some gentle jogging. I try to do 30-45 mins per day (with the occasional rest day) and a longer 60 mins session at the weekend. Prior to surgery I have been a 30 year regular runner/jogger and have done some marathons in the past. While I think marathons are out of the question, I do harbour a secret (no longer secret) ambition to do some 5k or 10k events,using a run-walk-run technique, mainly as a target and motivator for the exercise program.

However my program is often de-railed by recurring pain in my feet. This seems to be of 2 types. The first is closer to classic gout with swelling of the right ankle joint, quite intense pain and great difficulty walking. I had blood tests but they did not show greatly elevated ueric (?)acid levels. My Doc prescribed some anti inflammatories but counseled that I use them sparingly given the risk of internal bleeding?. I finally took 2 somewhat in desperation and the problem subsided although not completely. It has flared up again over the past 3-4weeks but I have mainly controlled it with Panadol,diet and rest from walking. I have identified red wine and shell fish as possible triggers for me. Also I was told to drink lots of water.

Recently there has been a second form of pain further down into my fore-foot but not into the toes. It is not as severe as the earlier episodes is sufficient to wake me at night and again restricts my ability to walk, let alone jog.It does not feel like classic gout and I am wondering if it is related to exercise or over exercise?

Or is this another form of gout manifesting itself in a different way, or is it some form of injury related to walking and running?

Does Coumadin make you prone to inflammation or injury in any way?
Iwas worried that INCONSISTENT exercise might effect INR readings but I have been in the 2.3-2.7 range since April.

A review of my exercise diary shows I was unable to exercise at all in the last week of May and have experienced some form of discomfort on 15/30 days in June.
I have been unable to walk freely for the las t 3 days and have resorted to Panadol ( Paracetamol) so I can at least get to and around at work without limping too much.

Of course have made another an appointment with my Doctor to check this all out but I was wondering if this is a common phenomenon with AVR type people.

Re some other issues discussed elswhere on the Forum .I have lost about 20 pounds at the rate of about a pound per week in the 5 months post surgery. This seems to have stabilized over the past week or so.

I do however have my own personal energy crisis. I have returned to my full time role as a management consultant and I am trying really hard to stick with my exercise regime as Nancy and others have advised. I think I am doing OK at work contributing to family life but when the tank is empty... IS IT EMPTY!!!.

Like many others I have found this forum an absolute Godsend. I wish I had known about it prior to my AVR

FOOT PAIN -OOPS!

FOOT PAIN -OOPS!

Sorry, the message posted before I had finished.
I meant to add an apology for all this sounding more like a post to the Runners World forum, but I am really frustrated by my inability to follow a regular and I hoperealistic program.
Thanks
Greg B

Have you done any research on Plantar Faciaitis? It causes terrible foot pain--in fact Jerry has it in one foot right now. We know that's what it is because he had it several years ago and was diagnosed by a podiatrist. Then I had it a year ago. Nothing worked, including arch supports, a shot of cortisone in the heel (ouch, ouch!) and a prescription anti-inflammatory. Finally my beautician, of all people, told me to take larger amounts of ibruprofen than the recommended dosage and to get a pair of good walking shoes. This started clearing me up in short order and I wear only those shoes except when going out. Of course, with Coumadin my husband can't take the ibuprofen, but he did get a good pair of walking shoes today. Hope they help. He's still toughing it out and taking his walks 4-5 times a week for his heart, but it's not good on the foot.

Just a thought. It might be what's ailing you.

Foot pain

Thankyou Celia,
That is an excellent lead. I had not thought of it as a possibility. I will investigate further as soon as I can.
Perhaps a trip to the podiatrist is in order. Don't think the beautician can do much for me... and that has nothing to do with Coumadin.
I hope your husband can get through his discomfort. In my days as a runner I found that new shoes were a great motivator...at least fora short while.
Thanks again
Greg B

Plantar Faciaitis - My daughter had this and was disabled pretty much. In time hers just subsided. Then, lo and behold, after two New York and Boston trips where much walking on hard surfaces was involved, plus a stint of constant care for my mother where I was on my feet running back and forth (kept stepping on one of those door sill things that she had in one of the floors) my rt foot was killing me so went to podiatrist who made arch molds (at $300) but I really don't think they helped. If you need them, try some from the stores as I found them just as supportive. The only thing that helped me was time. Little by little it went away. A cousin also had it and time took care of it. Maybe you could check this out with a podiatrist, as Celia says. If this is your problem, don't become discouraged, as it took months for mine to clear up. God bless

I found that Birkenstock shoes cured mine. It took a while and they aren't really comfortable at first, but there's something about the footbed that takes care of a multitude of foot problems.

I wear them most of the time that I'm home and have several pair.

Foot pain

Thanks for your advice. I have invested in some expensive running shoes for my runs/walks. These might help.
It seems what I need next however is more patience.
It is just that I find it irksome to have my recovery program interferred with by yet another small setback.

So far I seem to be managing my diet/Coumadin and INR well enough. I have been within the acceptable INR range for months now.

My belief however is that exercise and weight control is an important part of the recovery equation and just at the moment I am unable to enjoy my preferred form of exercise(walking/jogging running) on average every second day.

Just another small setback on a fairly long road I guess.

Foot Pain

Foot Pain

I have reccuring "flares" of foot pain (right foot top near arch)to the point where the pain is so great that I cannot walk. But, fortunately, it always clears up in a day or two with 50 to 100 mg of Vioxx. This used to occur only about once every three months prior to my AVR surgery, but now it is occuring every 3 to 4 weeks. (I currently walk 3 miles a day almost every day.) The tentative diagnosis is "gout or pseudo gout". It also happened to me in the left knee the day after I was released from the hospital at the Cleveland Clinic following AVR surgery. I became totally dependant on a wheel chair for that day. The Cleveland Clinic ER MD told me that given my past history of gout/pseudo gout, I could almost have anticipated this particular attack occuring somewhere in my body in that gout/pseudo gout can respond to a trauma of the body (i.e., surgery) in this way. 150 mg total of Vioxx fixed me up in less than 3 days. They said they would have tried Predazone (spelling?), a steroid, had the Vioxx not worked. I have a tissue valve so Coumadin is not an issue. I don't know if this helps you in any way. By the way, my uric acid level is always just a few points above the normal range when I get it tested.
If I can provide further input, just ask.
Best wishes.
Don
AVR; 4/12/02; CCF; Cosgrove; Bovine Tissue

Foot Pain

Foot Pain

Thanks Don,
Your experience sounds somewhat similar to mine,although no knee problems so far. "Flares of pain " is an apt description. I have been without discomfort for the last 2-3 days so with a little luck it may have passed.
I have been monitoring my diet and trying to eliminate possible Gout triggers such as shellfish, tomatoes etc. If it gets too bad I try to handle it with paracetemol.
I feel if I can just get over this I will be able to report strong recovery like others on this Forum.
I am a little surprised that others have not reported similar flare ups. Perhaps it is not one of the more common effects.
Hope all continues well with you.
Thanks for your advice and support.
Greg B

Latest posts

Back