Flu or other viral respiratory illness?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iren_999

I had AVR (pigs valve) replacement surgery and I am coming down with a flu or a viral illness like coughing, a little sneezing, and coughing up mucus, but its not that bad at the moment. How will this affect my newly replaced valve? Will the pigs valve become infected as well and cause serious issues?

I had the AVR done back in April of 2016 last year.

Also, I am afraid that when I cough, the wires that hold the valve in place will rip out causing the valve to leak...

So what are the odds of these issues happening?

Thanks for the support in advance

As I understand it pneumonia can become a cause for infection of the valve. I would think it's highly unlikely.

​​if you are concerned I would put some pressure on her Dr to prescribe antibiotics as a prevention of secondary inflections.
I wouldn't be worried about the valve so much as respiratory tract infections

Going to my primary Dr to ask.
I have no fever and nothing serious at the moment.

iren_999;n872570 said:
I had AVR (pigs valve) replacement surgery and I am coming down with a flu or a viral illness like coughing, a little sneezing, and coughing up mucus, but its not that bad at the moment. How will this affect my newly replaced valve? Will the pigs valve become infected as well and cause serious issues?

I had the AVR done back in April of 2016 last year.

Also, I am afraid that when I cough, the wires that hold the valve in place will rip out causing the valve to leak...
If you've got any heart problem, including replacement valve, you can normally get a vaccination against pneumococcal, including pneumonia, infections. You should ask your GP for that.

The valve is sewn into place with stiches which dissolve as the valve secures to where it has been sewn, takes only a few days from what I understand, so if you had your surgery April last year the valve will be fully secure. Only your sternum has wires and that should also have fully healed by now.

Hope you feel better soon !

I've had the flu, colds, etc many times and have been advised to not worry unless:
a) I run a fever
b) I have a severe sore throat
c) Symptons persist

I agree with Paleowoman, flu shots and pneumococcal shots are something I routinely get as needed.

iren_999;n872572 said:
Going to my primary Dr to ask.
I have no fever and nothing serious at the moment.

Always wise to check with the Dr

Your description sounds like there is no cause for alarm

Latest posts

Back