First time visitor

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jan:

I'd be surprised if there's ever been anyone facing OHS (or any other major surgery) who hasn't experienced some degree of fear. But I do think OHS patients may feel it to a greater degree.

Gathering as much information as possible from as many sources as possible helps. This website has a wealth of information. You can also check out the Cleveland Clinic's and Mayo Clinic's websites. They are 2 of the leading heart hospitals in the U.S., if not the world.

Prayer helps bring peace of mind. I had surgery 40 miles from my church, so I declined listing the church. However, my husband & I did pray with a hospital chaplain the day before my surgery.

What also helped me was knowing that there were many people who made it through OHS and whose lives and health had been improved.

At your age, you could choose either mechanical or tissue. The choice is yours. Valve choice is hotly debated here, much like politics and religion. ;)

Jan,

Sorry you're hear but glad you found us.

Disbelief, fear, anger, frustration, "It can't be ME", sadness, optimism, pessimism. confusion, freaked-out, calm, moodiness.... All are appropriate and common feelings, I think.

As my surgery drew near, I realized I had PSM (Pre-Surgery Moodiness). I would get sad, mad, irritated, bummed out, hopeless, resolute, optimistic all within the span of a few hours.

I wanted my wife to be concerned, strong, senstitive, worried, confident.... all at the same time! It was confusing to me let alone her.

I took comfort in the fact that this is a mechanical issue. All it takes is a really good mechanic to fix it. Finding the best mechanic (surgeon) you can get to is the most critical decision you can make in this process. I personally believe that surgeon choice is more important than valve choice and I agonized over valve choice.

Great surgeons have great results. The techniques and technology for heart valve surgery have improved tremendously even in the last decade. As far as serious problems to have, a heart valve issue is one of the "better" problems you can have.

Read alot. There is much info regarding valve choice, warafin usage, life after heart surgery. You will have a couple hard choices to make:

1. Who will be your surgeon
2. What valve will you choose

You will eventually make whatever decisions your analysis leads you to. They will be the right choices for you.

Let us know of questions you have and we'll all answer with our thoughts and opinions (sometimes varying but always caring).

Good Luck,
David

Welcome to this forum! I am 53 and had both my aortic and mitral valves replaced with mechanical valves on Nov. 1st. It wasn't as bad as I feared!
Like you, I really didn't want to go through this again, so I opted for mechanical valves. So far, I'm pleased with my decision and I'm getting my coumadin under control. Good Luck! Marcie

Latest posts

Back