First Ski Trip

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerrychuck

Well, got my first ski trip since OHS in the books last week. I will confess to a few nerves; hadn't skied in 5 years, not sure how my endurance (or legs) would be, and a bit nervous about anticoagulation in case I managed to hurt myself. I am pleased to report I did 3 days of skiing with no injuries (or falls) whatsoever, picked up right where I was 5 years ago with regard to what marginal skills I possess, and my legs felt better than they did after our first family ski trip 14 years ago. Plus my new brain-bleed prevention device (ski helmet) was very comfortable and was not tested in any material way. Okay, my wife bumped my helmet pulling the safety bar down on the lift chair, but that was it!

Feeling more and more "normal" now; I don't think I I really have any significant limitations any more from my episode of heart failure and OHS. Went flying today and pulled about 2g a few times in steep turns; next time I go up with my military pilot instructor son I think it will be time to start turning the plane upside down a little and upping the g loads to 3-3.5. Life is good:)

Whoop, excellent news! If you didn't fall though, were you not trying hard enough? ;-) Trees are your friends, and it is important to give them hugs every now and then.

Sorry; I made darn sure I didn't get intimate with any conifers;) On the other hand I did work my way up to a couple of black diamonds and did more genuine carve turns than I ever have before. Heck, I was just hoping to be close to what I was last time I skied, and wasn't putting any pressure on myself at all. Much to my surprise and delight I actually picked right up where I left off and then moved on past. Pretty good feeling.

For the record, I did have a couple of moments where I almost, almost, lost it;)

Blue cruisers or black diamonds...that's a feat in itself to get back on the skis after a 5 year hiatus! I am all about the 'helmet' too.

Glad you had a good time and some good runs and stayed away from the conifers! :)

Back