First outdoor run post op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tprice54

Just returned from my first run outdoors since AVR 1/25/07. I've run twice on my treadmill (3 miles each), but today is finally sunny and warm in upstate NY and the first time I have had a chance to get out. My fellow runners at work encouraged me today, but I had to share it here, because as we know, only people here can really appreciate what this means! ;)

3 miles, 34 minutes...EXACTLY 8 weeks post op...to the minute!

Hr

Hr

Stretch, yes I did wear my NEW heart rate monitor today!;)
I was not very good at regulating my pace (like starting running all over again). I set the alarm at 130 because I am still on 75 mg. Toprol XL for another 10 days, and I figure with that much Toprol, 130 beats is like 160 without any Toprol!
Anytime the HR went over 130, I walked it down to under 120. I also wore a GPS so I noticed HR over 130 I was running under 11:00/mile pace, too fast...

Brilliant

Brilliant

That is incredible. I am more than 4 years post op and can only manage 3 miles in about 28 minutes at best. My heart rate just gets way too high for me to go faster even when fit.

Well done, must feel great !!

Tom, you're making me feel better about this condition! I've got a bicuspid aortic valve that has stenosis. It is done to approx 1 cm square, but I don't have any symptoms yet.

At 57, I've been active my whole life. I ran some marathons when I was younger and lately I ride a road bike pretty good distances.

I was wondering how long it would take me after surgery to get back on the bike, and it is encouraging to hear it was only 8 weeks for you, before you could start running again. Now the big question is, how long to get back to where you want to be?

Great news and great encouragement.

John

everyone is an experiment

everyone is an experiment

Walkon, I was diagnosed last April, felt good (no symptoms); ran a half marathon in Sept. (Disneyland), by December I felt crappy and couldn't finish a mile run, so my cardio agreed it was time. Search this forum and you will find some postings that it takers about a year to fully recover, depending on how you do...the old saying "every runner is an experiment of one" is even more true with heart recovery.

Way to go!

Way to go!

My goodness. What I'd give to be able to run.

May your speed and stamina get better every day!

Good on ya.

Lotti

rckrzy1 said:
My cardio has me limited to HR of 118 and I'm 10 weeks post op. DOn't want to blow out any sutures in my new valves.

This reminds me: I don't know if this is true or not but I had heard that [a famous actor/politician] "blew out" his first valve replacement on an exercise bicycle; but it was reportedly very shortly after surgery.

Tom - your doctors cleared you, didn't they?

doctor schmoctor

doctor schmoctor

You mean I'm supposed to be cleared to run??:)
Actually, they cleared me at week 4 for easy runs, but I waited 4 more weeks, just to be sure and to get myself back in shape. I've been walking 3 miles a day at 15:00/mile pace so get ready to try and run.

Tom,
I'm impressed and what a great pace. Keep it up and you'll be the star peformer at the Relay in Sept.

I don't know about you, but getting back into running is the hardest thing I've done post-surgery. My times are inconsistent, I'm having a difficult time running two consecutive days and it seems for every good day I have, I have two bad ones. But believe me, although I gripe about the bad ones, I'm happy that I'm even able to be having a bad day running.

Mel

For those of you who don't know CNY, we had a lot of snow this winter... so Friday was the first perfect running day this Spring! I am glad Tom could take advantage! Congratulations Tom!

I too was outside on Friday, but only walking and enjoying the sunshine until I have my AVR.

Yea!

Yea!

I'm seven weeks out, and have done some jogging ... I tend to find the pounding causes some residual discomfort in the chest, but not too bad. My medical folks don't seem to be too concerned about my heart rate ... but I haven't gone over about 125, and I wouldn't be quite keeping up to Tom's pace!

It does seem that ... for whatever reasons ... we all have our own recovery process and pace, so I hope posts like these don't bumb out our friends who are having a more challenging recovery. I do think that it is good to share these stories with the group and ... especially ... with those still facing the surgery.

My surgeon's office took me off the Toporol for a couple days, but the resting heart rate went up to 110 (from about 60), so I am back on it. For some reason my doc now ordered 90 days of the stuff ... which I think was a mistake ... especially being I paid (after insurance) $60 for the stuff. I can't believe I'll be on the stuff 90 days from now!

Oh ... well ... gotta run! Or ... go to bed!

HeartDawg

HeartDawg

I know what you mean...I thought twice about posting my running efforts, as I did not want to discourage someone on their own path to recovery. I know I am one of the lucky ones, and have had no bumps in my own recovery. But I felt so great after that first run outside....I had to share it! :)

You motivated me!

You motivated me!

I went for a 40 minute jog on the treadmill today! Actually had the thing up to 5 mph ... daydreaming as I jogged about running a 1/2 marathon in June ... ok ... NOT going to do it ... but a fella can dream!

HeartDawg said:
I went for a 40 minute jog on the treadmill today! Actually had the thing up to 5 mph ... daydreaming as I jogged about running a 1/2 marathon in June ... ok ... NOT going to do it ... but a fella can dream!

Nothing wrong with dreaming, just be careful when you do it on a treadmill. June for a 1/2 might be a little early, but it's always a possibility. How about considering the AKRON MARATHON RELAY TEAM with the rest of us valvers?
Date is Sept 29. For more info you can PM Tprice54, Mark Siwik or me.

HeartDawg

HeartDawg

Heart Dawg, how about joining us is Akron? Use the opportunity to motivate yourself to SLOWLY progress your running. I'm using it as a stepping stone to longer races, but they are a year off yet....

Back