First attempt at self dosing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, this caused me to wonder, so I looked at Drugs.com. https://www.drugs.com/imprints.php?drugname=warfarin&maxrows=18
I will try to follow Protimenow's suggestion and stick with 1 manufacturer. A particular "color" gets implemented in various ways be various manufacturers. Plus they vary the labeling and the shape.
in Australia the system is quite clear on what I'll say next: do not swing brands. Pick a brand and stay with it exclusively. In Australia the prescription is brand specific and no brand substitution is permitted

https://www.amsj.org/archives/4762

As a self tester you'll note the INR shift and you'll then be able to lean into that as needed (should you do so).

Best Wishes

I am in the USA and my 1mg is pink and 5mg is peach (light orange)

Ditto for me. Whatever generic maker supplies the pharmacies my insurance allows uses those colors. Originally was different, at least in the pill shapes (I can't recall the original colors) but CVS switched to a different pill source I think.

in Australia the system is quite clear on what I'll say next: do not swing brands. Pick a brand and stay with it exclusively. In Australia the prescription is brand specific and no brand substitution is permitted

https://www.amsj.org/archives/4762

As a self tester you'll note the INR shift and you'll then be able to lean into that as needed (should you do so).

Best Wishes
Unfortunately here in the USA with the way our health care/insurance works we don't have a choice in brands. At least I don't - unless I have to pay for it out of my own pocket I guess. I have a limited network of pharmacies that are "in network" and "preferred" by my insurance. When they switch generics on me I have to just take what they give me (has happened twice so far).

Last edited:
I understand it varies, I know some people were on the Coumadine brand...

Just for discussion, I get no cover for my medication from government nor my health insurance. I pay $10 per bottle of 50 pills (more or less, irrespective of size).

If I'm broke enough when I get to 67 I will pay no more than a few bucks.

https://www.findapharmacy.com.au/pbs-pricing#:~:text=What is the price of,for prescriptions for specific conditions.

Yes, in this regard (cost) we are lucky that warfarin is so cheap. The cheapest prescription drug I've ever been on anyway. I was without drug coverage for several months last year and had to pay 100% out of my own pocket. Thankfully warfarin was not that expensive (can't remember exactly but something like $20-30 for a one month supply of the strength that I needed). Of course I TRIED to get my current worthless Dr's office to get me a prescription for 90 pills B4 my coverage ran out so I wouldn't have to pay out of pocket, even had a long conversation with them about needing that, but they only prescribed it for 30 pills then of course. I have this problem of only being able to get a bare minimum supply, no refills, much hassles, ever since my half decent Dr retired.

Which brings me to ask - is there some sort of LAW that only allows patients to get a 90 day supply at MOST (with NO refills) of ANY prescription? Because even with my old Dr despite multiple conversations about how I AM ON THIS MED FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE so why do I keep having to jump through hoops to get new prescriptions because the refill amount is either ZERO or in some cases at most 3 allowed or even more maddening a good # of refills but an EXPIRATION of refills only 2 months later etc etc. Healthcare in this country is such a goddamm nonsensical chore at times....

And don't get me started but when I went to refill a different prescription recently there was an older gentleman in front of me who was complaining that he could not actually AFFORD a full refill of whatever it was he was refilling because the price went up (or something, I didn't hear the whole story). There was some drama going on at the register in front of me while he was checking out and when he walked away he said something aloud to no one in particular "healthcare in this country is a God damn joke".

Back