First attempt at self dosing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m 3 months post surgery INR range 2 - 3, for approx 10 days I have been hovering on the low end 1.9 - 2.1 both home and lab tested, the INR clinic has not increased my dose 6mg intending to lower my range to 1.5 - 2.0. I intend to remain at 2.0 - 3.0 so after today’s lab test 1.9 I took 6.5mg and plan to take 6mg tomorrow and alternate and home test to monitor. No time like the present to take the leap!

Hi
great to see someone taking it into their own hands ...
I intend to remain at 2.0 - 3.0 so after today’s lab test 1.9 I took 6.5mg and plan to take 6mg tomorrow and alternate and home test to monitor. No time like the present to take the leap!
that's great, and these small sorts of increments are good ... make sure you document and you'll be able to see trends.

I did the same this week. My weekly dosage of warfarin for the last three weeks is as follows:
7.5 mg 5 days a week, 5 mg two days a week.
In contrast, my inr values have been rising steadily over the last three weeks
10 May : 2,35
16 May :2,76
20 May: 2,91
According to this table, although I told my cardiologist that I thought that my inr value would rise above 3 as long as I continued the current dosage, he said that there was no need to change the dose. According to him, my body is in the process of getting used to Warfarin. By the way, there are no Coumadin clinics in Turkey like in the United States, so you have to go to cardiologists. Anyway, as of this Monday I have adjusted the dosage as follows: 7.5 mg four days a week, 5 mg three days a week.
I will follow my results by measuring at home.

Ekran Resmi 2024-05-23 - 13.01.16.jpeg

as of this Monday I have adjusted the dosage as follows: 7.5 mg four days a week, 5 mg three days a week.
Glad to hear you self monitoring and self testing. I’m curious why you would not just dose 6mg per day, rather than go 7.5mg 4 days and 5mg some days. That would be about the same weekly as you’re doing now. If you needed to, you could adjust by 0.5mg either up or down a couple of days per week.

I have a 8 box 5 mg Warfarin.
make it a priority to get 1, 3 and 5mg and start administering better titrated doses.

what do you mean an 8 box?

Are you not using something like this:
1716506744938.png

which is 50 tablets

While its not perfect you can do this:
5 split into halves = 2.5mg
2.5mg splint into halves is approximately 1.25mg

5 + ¼ 5 = 6.25mg
adding this together will not be perfect but where one may be 1.24 the other portion will likely be 1.26 ... this will be less variation than alternating as you are doing.

Today was the handoff from the INR clinic to my family doctor, it went exceptionally well both my Doctor and I agreed that a range of 1.5 to 2 is too low, she wants me to be 2.5 - 3.5 range.

She was happy to see that I have a coagucheck meter and also was impressed with the spread sheet that pellicle set me up with. Thank you to pellicle for the spread sheet and your patient tutoring.

She was happy to see that I have a coagucheck meter and also was impressed with the spread sheet that pellicle set me up with. Thank you to pellicle for the spread sheet and your patient tutoring.
really glad that all went well ... keep up the good work, you're a fast learner!!

totally nothing wrong with the 2.5 ~ 3.5 range, its statistically the safest

1716948524216.png

my Doctor and I agreed that a range of 1.5 to 2 is too low, she wants me to be 2.5 - 3.5 range.
I'm glad to hear that your doctor did not fall for the marketing about the low INR range for the On-x. We continue to hear more and more about cardiologists and doctors rejecting this low range. In our relatively small sample size here on the boards we've heard of some bad outcomes from the low range. It makes one wonder if cardiologists are observing bad outcomes with the low INR range and shifting their patients back to more proven safer targets.

Back