Finally time for BAV replacement! Well, I think so anyway...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgilbert

Hey guys! So, I was diagnosed with BAV in 2012, and have been in a holding pattern since then.. It seems that my last ECHO showed that my left ventricle is enlarged a small amount and my AV leak has worsened somewhat.. So my Cardiologist referred me to a surgeon who I will meet on Tuesday.. I am actually looking forwarding to getting this thing replaced. I ignored it for a few years, but I'm familiar with the ins and outs of what I have in store, thanks to this forum.. So the fear is gone. (well, OK, mostly). But I am just curious - and I know this would vary by area / surgeon.. But once you are referred to a surgeon, what is the usual procedure(s) before having the valve replaced? When I called to make the appointment, they asked me if I had had cardiac cath yet, which I have not.. I did have a TEE a few years ago, stress test, and of course multiple ECHOs. I am sort of hoping they will have they info the need to get the ball rolling. What do you guys who have been through it think?

Brian

I think a cardiac cath is pretty standard procedure before surgery so they can make sure there's nothing else they need to do (blockages)while they are in there, I also had a CT scan of my ascending aorta as it's enlarged but then that was picked up on the echo before hand.

I had a cardiac cath and an echo on the carotid arteries as well as chest X-rays. As Warrick wrote, these are done to look for blockage and other conditions that may affect the surgical outcome. In my case, a 70% blockage was found that necessitated a bypass during AVR surgery.

Latest posts

Back