Finally Home

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Stephens

Hello All,

I've written this out long-hand for Kathy to post for me. I finally got home two days ago and am far to weak to climb a very long flight of stairs to the computer!

First, thanks to the group for your fantastic support of Kathy during this harrowing experience. You gave her a lot of strength during some lonely moments!

As most of you know, this was expected to be a very routine aortic valve replacement. Instead, I wound up with SJM's in both aortic and mitral positions, and eight days on the ventilator, due to problems with pulmonary hypertention and fluid in my lungs. All of these problems were caused by my radiation for Hodgkins's disease.

I really only remember the last four days out of two weeks. I was so heavily sedated I remember almost nothing of the ICU. In fact, the last thing I remember before surgery was Chris (Mainframe) and his wife Tina's very uplifting visit while I waited for catheterization!

I could not have made it through this without Kathy. She was so well informed, and fearless to insist on explanations that at every step of the way the correct decisions were made.

As an aside, the valves are very quiet, and I almost never hear them.

It will be a couple of weeks before you see me online much. I have to get through some in-home physical therapy arranged for me by Dr. Verrier's office. After that, I should be strong enough to climb up the stairs to the computer!

Thanks again all!

Take your time

Take your time

Your computer and we await your return.

Welcome to the double clicker's club, Johnny.

Hello Johnny,

Glad to hear you are making progress !

You've certainly had some bumps in the road, but I urge you to Focus on the Future and let the rough road go. It sounds like you have retained your Positive Mental Attitude which is a GOOD sign.

I have a vested interest in your recovery since I too was treated for Hodgkin's Disease many years ago, with ~3000 rads applied in a long narrow field along the center of my chest (and 3 other areas).

I would be VERY interested in knowing the level of your chest radiation and the size / shape of the field they radiated. Were there any other factors (smoking, lung disease, etc?)

My surgery is coming up fast (May 21).

'AL'

Hey Johnny,

Glad your home and the bumps you experienced are out of the way. I was beginning to think you had moved in to the UWMC. I was planning a "jail break" for Monday when I go back for a blood test if you were still there. :D

Please let Tina and I know if there is anything we can do.

Chris.

I'm so happy to hear that your home. Wish we could all have the ideal replacements, but realistically, bumps in the road happen. It's great that you overcame all the obstacles and are back with us!

Take care of yourself and hope to see you posting soon.

Thanks Kathy, for keeping us updated.

Bless your heart, Johnny. You had a time, didn't you. We have been quite concerned and thank Kathy for keeping us aware of your cndition Know she was worried, but she came across very upbeat. We knew you would be back soon. You will have to take it a bit easier than some of us did in order to let that strength find its way back, but it will, it will. Not to worry. Just get well and when you feel better, we'll talk some more. God bless

Johnny,
It is SO good to see your own words here, and to know you are now on the road to recovery. I hope your strength returns quickly and that your path to good health is a short one. It was great that your wife kept us all posted...she is quite a trooper!

Hang in there, and get your strength back!

Cheering you on,
--John

hi johnny!
i was so glad to see your posting. what good news that you are home and on your way to recovery.
please thank kathy for keeping us posted. she must be so happy to have you home and feeling better with each new day.
glad the worst is over and wishing you a smooth road from here on in.
be well, sylvia

Hi Ya Johnny and Kathy

I am glad you finally made it home. What a tough hospital stay. For both of you!

I guess not remembering ICU with the ventilator shoved down your throat is proabably a good thing.

I'll be praying that you continue to do well.

Wow. 2 valves. You are in elite company now!

-Mara

Hi Johnny,

Just a quick note for now to say Welcome home and Welcome back to the board. I hope you fast track your way back to good health!

We'll all be looking forward to seeing you back on the boards when you get your strength back.

Rob

Dear Johnny:

First and foremost......welcome home, welcome back to life.

Secondly....thanks Kathy for the posts.

Third........welcome to the double clicker club. My husband had double valves done in October.

Fourth....don't hurry recovery. Take your time, take it easy.

We are so glad everything turned out OK for you. Isn't this side of the mountain beautiful???

Now for Kathy....welcome to a small group of SO's of double clickers. We are a small, but grand group of folks. Justs remember to try, try, try, to take just a wee bit of care of yourself.
It is a tough thing to do, but needed. And, when folks offer to help, tell them what they can do, and accept the help now. Cuz, in a few weeks, they are going to think that everything is back to normal, when it is not., So use whatever resources are offered now! (heehee)

Marybeth

Hi Johnny-

I've just started to read some of the posts from a while back. I haven't been able to for so long because of Joe's hospitalization. I'm so very, very happy to see this post and that you are now OK. You and your wife have been through quite a difficult time, but you made it and each day will be that much sweeter.

Congratulations on your valiant recovery and enjoy life a little now.

Latest posts

Back