Finally at the end of the circle!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffp

Got my INRatio meter today. VERY easy to use, came with DVD and well written instruction book. Was supposed to wait until QAS nurse called to do phone training, but I was chomping at the bit waiting for this thing. Here's the circle story...
Asked my cardio about home testing about 6 weeks out of surgery as that was about the time my brain was getting rebooted. Had learned about QAS from VR.com and asked about them. He was not familiar with QAS but had just met with rep from Raytel and could supply the same equiptment. OK with me. Well we go through all the forms and scripts and wait a month for the ins co to do their bit. After not hearing from them I call and am told that Raytel doesn't participate with my ins so I need to go through one of their suppliers. They gave me a list of about 20 vendors they work with but have no idea of whether or not they can supply the INRatio. After a ton of calling and hold time, Sterliing Medical is the only one that even knows what the thing is. We start the paperwork all over again. More calls... Finally they can supply it, but need credit card info from me as the total is over what the ins will pay (coverage limit). Get that done, and then they can't order it with out the prescription as they "must have lost the original%". They'll ship it right out. Never gets here. More calls... Turns out they do not stock it and it has to get dropped shipped. Get a call a few days later from QAS to verify my address and have it next day UPS. Took about 3 months to run the loop. Why didn't they just listen to me in the first place? (No one ever does, it seems.)
Gotta go stick some more fingers...I'm like a kid with a new toy.

New toy!

New toy!

Let us know how you do. How often you test, results, dose changes, etc.

Marty said:
Let us know how you do. How often you test, results, dose changes, etc.
I'll test weekly unless there is some really good reason to go a shorter term (the strips ain't cheap!) INR was 2.2 at first check, on 7.5mg warfarin QD. Am going to 7.5mg 4 days/wk, alternating with 10mg 3 days/wk and will see. (I'm beginning to get quite a collection of different dose tablets.)

I think you'll be a happy camper now. You might even try to take it out for dinner some evening. :eek:

Ross said:
I think you'll be a happy camper now. You might even try to take it out for dinner some evening. :eek:

We were planning on going out for a big spinach salad with lots of mayo ;)

jeffp said:
We were planning on going out for a big spinach salad with lots of mayo ;)

Don't forget the red wine to balance out the spinach. :)

Jeff:

When I got my ProTime 3, I felt like I was a teen-ager getting my driver's license. Sooooooooooooooooo liberating.........

Spinach salad & mayo? How about a nice balsamic vinaigrette with olive oil? :D

Hey, Jeff, congrats on the new "toy". Ironically, I just started the home testing paperwork process myself with Tapestry Medical (eight years post surgery :eek: ). I'm going to fax it today and see what happens. Best of luck with yours, and I'll be on here in a month or two bragging about my new one too.

Finally got within "normal" range! Was 3.0 testing this morning. It's good to be able to check the INR myself vs. going to the PCP and getting a blood draw, and then waiting a few days for them to get back to me. Getting to some degree of normal back in my life and feel like I at last have some control over what's going on. :)

jeffp said:
It's good to be able to check the INR myself vs. going to the PCP and getting a blood draw, and then waiting a few days for them to get back to me.

Good thing you have your home testing machine now. Shame shame on the doctor for waiting "a few days" to get back to you. You should get a response the same day or they may as well test you again. 2 day old numbers are useless because dose changes are made on an INR that most likely has changed and could require a different dosing protocol.

Latest posts

Back