feeling fatigued lately...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joy

I was wondering if anybody has felt tired and fatigued after surgery? I felt great for a long time, but lately, I feel tired. It's not an "I don't get enough sleep" tired, it's an exhausted drained sort of tired. I have a call into my doctor, and hopefully they will call me back. Could it be my platelette levels(red cells) keep going low? That's happened to me like 3 times in a short time, and I have had a ton of transfusions of packed red cells.

Yes, Joy-

It could be anemia related. Joe has chronic anemia. Although his is helped now, greatly, with injections of Procrit 3 times per week (I do it at home). It still is in the low normal range, but he hasn't needed a transfusion in a while. He also takes Folic acid every day, and iron twice a day. It's a constant struggle. His is due to the double mechanicals, especially the very old one that he has, which beat up his blood cells. And now he is on some meds which can, in themselves, cause anemia.

When his blood is not in the normal range, he gets exhausted, not sleepy, just totally exhausted.

I'm glad you're following through with a call to the doc.

Hi Joy

Hi Joy

I've noticed that I've been feeling extremely fatigued lately (for about a month) and even more so this week. I was thinking it may be this gloomy weather. :(

(yawn)

(yawn)

Another thing that might be an issue - are you on beta blockers? I was on them in the early 80's; after a couple of years I was also really tired, cold, etc. For some reason the dosage of beta blockers had become really high and my heart rate & blood pressure dropped. Cut dosage in half and I really bounced back quite quickly.

Good luck with whatever ails ya; it's been so long since I had any energy . . . hope you get yours back.

Hey guys, it is so weird, I always thought Iwould have a ton of energy after my MVR, but instead I have nothing. I got my blood drawn yesterday, and still haven't gotten my results back yet. I have SO many bruises all over my body, it's pathetic, but my INR is only at 3.2, so I know it isn't that!

Nancy, Joe is such a trooper! He's been through so much, and survived...He is our miracle member! So have you...you take good care of him! I think it is anemia, although I don't know for sure.

Bunny, why is your face green? I saw that, and thought I was seeing things, but it really is green in that picture! I think that your fatigue might be due to your valves...Not sure though, what meds do you take?

georgia, I am on metoprolol, I take 25 mg a day, but I have been taking that for a long time, and I felt great for a long time! I refuse to take more than that, and on the 7th, I am going to call my cardio, and ask him about getting off the metoprolol, because I haven't had any arhythmias for a while, and my heart rate is low enough.

Thanks for replying so quickly Nancy, Bunny rabbit and Georgia! I appreciate it.

Joy,
Sorry to hear you aren't feeling your best. I hope it is something your doctor can diagnose quickly.

Aside from physical causes, I do know that the added stress of war and having family and friends in the military can add to whatever medical problems a person has. Matter of fact, anyone who is a little too peppy during these times is either nuts or on drugs!

Take care, and let us know what they find out.

Best,
John

Hey guys(and gals) I got the results of my blood tests, and they all came back normal. My doctor wants to test to see if my thyroid has a problem with it. Other than the drained feeling, I feel great! I've been getting 8 hours of sleep per night and wake up feeling drained. I just don't want my family and friends or anyone who comes in to think I am lazy because I do not have the energy to deep clean my house( I do keep it straightened though). I am not worried about my brother and husband because for 1) my husband is in a class for two weeks and only gone until noon, and 2) my brother is not going to Iraq, so they are fine. This is just a very busy time for me, and I need my energy. Thanks for replying so soon...I love this site...It makes me realize I am not alone with all the odd health problems.;)

Hey Joy - deep cleaning is why Maids on Wheels was made. You're a great person - no one is judging you on your house. But if you want it scrubbed, hire a crew. You need to take care of YOU - and you're priority #1; my guess is the house is (or should be) about #5 - after family, friends, job, pets, etc.

Hi Joy

Hi Joy

Yeah I tried to turn myself into The Incredible Hulk...with blue hair. Actually I got a digital camera and I've become entirely too addicted to taking pictures and changing everyones hair colour. :)

I was thinking it may be my valves, but my doctors don't seem to be too concerned. So thats why I was contemplating the weather issue.

I'm actually not taking any medications right now. However I may be put on an antibiotic to prevent future Rheumatic Fever.

I hope you find out whats causing your poopedness.

Personally, I'm waiting for a Self-Clean House to be introduced on the market. :)

Not to worry, if you never move things on the dresser or table, you will never see the dust accumulation and it won't get airborne to contaminate other things. Just avert your eyes on a sunny day.:D

Hi Joy

Glad your blood work is ok!! I agree with everyone about the war stresses.....I know we all have it in the backs of our minds. As far as the house goes, here's my philosophy:

Give whoever visits a vacuum or a dust cloth if they have anything to say about your house........there are much more important things in life than a clean house!!!! If they don't like it, you can meet them at their house for a visit; or better yet, go out to lunch!!!

Ev

Hey guys, it's just this moving thing that has me all stressed out. I've been painting my walls back to white, and cleaning off the molding on the walls. The house gets COLD when I am painting because I have all the windows open and fans going. I'm done with that, but housing has tough rules about how the place has to look or they withhold the BAH and charge you $600.00. I am paying $175 instead to have a cleaner come in. That's what I was talking about with the house.

Bunny, your picture just made me think of frankenstein's wife when I first saw it. Sorry. I am on peniccilin for my RF. I have to take it every day until I am 40. I wonder if RF miraculously disappears when we turn 40 or what? I am allergic to eggs, so I have to take the pill, otherwise I would get the shot of bicillin, but THAT hurts. Only had that once! I wish I could get the liquid stuff that tastes like candy...I'd like that! Maybe I will ask for that with my last dose...I think I will deserve it!:D

Anyways, they want to check my thyroid out. Hopefully it's not that. I am going to try to get a study started on RF and if it is genetic...my gramma had it, I think my mom had it, and I had it. Hmmm.

Poor Joy

Poor Joy

Joy, if I knew I had to paint when I got up, I'd wake up tired, too (I loathe painting). Seriously, glad to hear your blood work is good. Most of the really serious causes of chronic fatigue can be picked up in blood work. You don't want ANY of those things.

Did the Doc let you get off of metroprolol? If not, maybe he/she will let you try a different beta blocker. I know the different brands affect people much differently. I would think that if you don't get feeling better soon it wouldn't hurt to see if there's another brand you might try.

Don't we just wish that speed was (A) legal and (B) good for you???

Hi Joy

Hi Joy

Have you moved into your house? Painting and taking care of two boys under the age of 5???:eek: You say..I get 8 hours of sleep..but are they the same hours....Like 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.? Go to bed when the boys go to bed..:D Gloomy weather. I know that feeling. Has been an awful winter in North Ga. Rain, cold, wind.:p :p But, Spring is here. ...Get those two boys outside. That house will be here long after you are gone:p :p :p besides...Housework makes you Ugly. Bonnie

reply to nancys last message

reply to nancys last message

you crack me up LOL!!!!!

Latest posts

Back