FDA Approval: On-X aortic valves with less warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this just a step towards not needing warfarin anymore and perhaps just using plavix and aspirin to keep INR between 1.5-2.0? I wonder if that is the end game they are shooting for. I am pretty happy with my on-x valve choice.

It's very good news sood, because it implies the risk of getting clots is less. However, the other parameter is that they might have compared normal INR monitoring with more frequent self-testing. The results might possibly be extrapolated to other mechanical valves.
Measuring INR on the Plavix/Aspirin combination is meaningless, because they work via another mechanism. I have been on this combination and suspect the risk of bleeds might be higher when compared to using Warfarin with regular monitoring. The really, really good news would be if they concluded that taking just one Plavix was good enough. That extra small dose of Aspirin on top of the Plavix increases the risk of bleeing significantly. Sorry to ramble, but I quizzed a couple of neurologists and cardiologists about this, after I had my PFO (you can look that up) repaired, via the groin (long story).

BTW, I received my letter from On-X a little over a month ago, and my coumidin nurse was so excited to see it, it was her first one! I gave her copies of everything, and she'll consult with my cardio, and ultimately, my surgeon. If it were solely up to me, I think I'd probably stay where I am, a sold 2.5-2.8 every time. But it's that "peace of mind" when I forget a dose, or have a craving for spinach. (Of course I can always counteract the spinach with wine. or vice-versa. LOL!)

Hi

MrsBray;n856498 said:
...or have a craving for spinach. (Of course I can always counteract the spinach with wine. or vice-versa. LOL!)

I use quite a bit of spinach (frozen stuff) in at the last minute with a lamb curry ... Rogan Josh ... always have at least two glasses of wine with it (shiraz) and its never effected my INR
... my belt seems to need an extra notch now n then ...

do the rice (basmati, cooked using the "steaming" method) with salt, a bit of fenugreek (3 or 4 seeds) and tumeric (a pinch) done in a table spoon of hot oil (hot enough to bubble the seeds, not burn) and its a great dish :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogan_josh

Back