Fatigue and sleep

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushman

I was just curious to see other peoples accounts on fatigue and sleep. I have seen a major change over the last 5-6 years in my sleep, it seems as though I could sleep all night and day and never wake up rested. I literally can't remember when the last time I woke up rested but it has been years for sure. Having said that we have gone through a lot of changes in those years as well(My wife and I got married, had 3 kids, bought a farm, built a huge house...) Needless to say, I have been under a fair amount of stress lately so maybe that is what brought on my symptoms and such.

In any event, I was just interested to see if some others have experienced this or if I am just trying to connect dots that aren't there. Also, has any one seen an improvement in their rest level or feeling of being rested post-surgery(maybe not right away but months down the road).

I noticed as I got older my sleeping habits changed. I was also getting up at 3:30 am to go to work, and not getting home until after 5pm. Then I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, and prescribed a cPap machine. I took about 6 months to get used to the machine, and got maybe 3 years of good sleep every night. Then my BAV started deteriorating, and no amount of sleep left me well rested. My surgery was 9 months ago. I'm still using the cPap. I get about 6 hours of good sleep every night, I feel rested when I get up in the morning, and I don't feel like I need a nap in the afternoons (but I wouldn't turn down a nap if it were offered!) The last 6 months leading up to my surgery were awful, sleep-wise. I was away from home from 6:30 am - 5pm, including an hour commute each way. I struggled mightily the last two hours of each work day, and the drive home. My husband was lucky to get a warmed up can of soup for dinner. Even the weekends weren't fun any more, becuase I simply didn't have the energy to do anything other than the bare necessities of housekeeping.

I fetl tired after surgery, but it was a different tired. When I went back to work, I surprised myself with how much energy and stamina i had. I still get tired from a hard day of work, but it's a good tired, and I'm almost back to sleeping through the whole night.

I think a lot of us BAVs are at risk for sleep apnea - all that stuff inside us is in the same general area. Sleep Apnea - it's not just for fat old men anymore!

Well I am a fat old man, but with sleep apnea. MrsBray was one who helped me change my mind and get a CPAP. I believed I was asymptomatic, but was not really. I just did not notice the symptoms, until allergy season and it was bad this year. If you snore at night, it could be sleep apnea. If you sleep with someone ask them if you snore and if the snore hesitates, this may be sleep apnea. For me using the CPAP had a lot of good side effects. For example, my daily BP dropped 10 points top/bottom within a month.

I am saying the same as being a woman, almost as menopause stage, have been losing sleep every night for three years now. And will be glad when it is over and get regular sleep. I had thought it just stress, but it is just a part of it. When we worry a lot about our heart or other health conditions, we can also lose sleep over it. Bless everyone here, kisses and hugs for today. :Face-Tired:

Latest posts

Back