Familial MVP

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaryC

I am a new member to this web site and have been really impressed with the amount of valuable information shared at this site. I wanted to know if any of the members have what's termed 'familial MVP' and have the kind of family history I do! I am one of 10 children of which 7 of us have been diagnosed with MVP. (The 3 that have not been diagnosed just haven't had an echo! ;) ) Even though we discuss our family history to our cardiologists, they don't seem to place as much importance on it as we feel they should.

So far here's my family MVP history:
1) 1 sister who was in congestive heart failure had a mechanical valve replacement at 38 - still having lots of issues including recurring a-fib
2) 1 brother died unexpectedly from overexertion at 47 - he had never been officially diagnosed with MVP but had been told my his general dr he had a heart issue and recommended he see a cardiologist. He didn't!
3) 1 sister had a series of strokes as a result of calcium build up coming lose from her leaking valve
4) 1 brother having severe symptoms recently had rushed MV bovine tissue valve replacement at 48
5) 1 sister (me!), 45, diagnosed with 3+ MVP, severe regurgitation, scheduled for MV repair 02/08
6) 1 sister, 43, diagnosed with 3+ MVP, severe regurgitation

(Did I mention we haven't faired well in our late 40's?!! ::eek: )

Mary

Hi Mary.

Welcome to VR.com

I have found a connection with MVP in my family. Not directly with siblings....but other first hand relatives. So....yes, I do indeed beleive there is a connection. I was the only one that required intervention. Lucky me!:p Or shall I say....fortunately for me! I am doing great. Coming up on 8 years!

Good luck with your research. You will find a wealth of information right here.

I had MVP. My sister has MVP but has no issues with it. It's very mild. My Mom had MVP as well with no issues. However, she did die from an aortic dissection. Not really sure where that came from, although she was a smoker her entire adult life.

Mary, welcome to our very exclusive club. There is a wealth of knowledge and support here.
You wrote that you have MV surgery scheduled for Feb. 08 or 07? Have you seen a surgeon yet? Cardios are much more conservative about surgery than surgeons are. Surgeons want to fix you up before your heart is damaged. I'm 57 and only discovered that I had MVP 5 years ago. Had I know sooner I quite possibly would have had my surgery sooner with a better outcome. Just a thought.
Anyway, welcome and happy New Year!.
Barbara:D

Latest posts

Back