Eye problems and patent foramen ovale

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madsometimes

When I mentioned to my surgeon on Monday that I had some temporary loss of vision in one eye, he was very concerned and fast tracked me for a neck scan and got a neurologist to see me. The neurologist saw no reason for my symptoms, but I had an echo booked for today.

My echo was done by a senior technician who was supervising a student (who had found me too difficult to image). He did a very long study on me, which involved lots of breath holding, and at the end said that he could not see any clots, but could see a small gap connecting my atria which blood could flow between. I can't remember the name he gave it, but looking it up it may have been a patent foramen ovale. My husband asked the technician to repeat the phrase but he wouldn't. Anyone would think we were about to consult Dr Google :rolleyes: When I was a baby I had an atrial septal defect which resolved itself spontaneously. Maybe it didn't quite fix itself.

I'm on warfarin at the moment, but am also in flutter, and have been for 2.5 months. My heart rate is controlled by my pacemaker, but my upper chambers are beating too fast. I'm due to see an EP for my flutter. I had another eye episode this afternoon. I'm feeling a little down about another bump in the road.

Sorry to hear that you are dealing with this. I thought I read somewhere that up to 20% of the population has a PFO. If "in doubt" have it checked out. All the best,

Hopefully my surgeon will call me on Monday to discuss my results. It's just a little scary to think that my stroke risk is elevated, and that I may have been experiencing TIAs.

Latest posts

Back