Excision

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
My Dermo took a hunk out of my shoulder yesterday. I thanked him for doing it under full ACT. Okay, I had a huge salad for lunch prior to the event! :rolleyes:

Local anesthesia. In and out in 30 minutes (except for the waiting room).

When he took a slice out 3 weeks ago, it took 24 hours of pressure and ice to manage the oozing so I could be functional. The "spot" was in situ squamour cell carcinoma. This second procedure was to take more margin, basically to go deeper and wider.

4 years and 7 months ago I had a melanoma removed from my arm. That required a general anesthesia and Lovenox bridge. With melanoma he took much more margin than he did with Squamous cell.

In both cases, he cut out an egg shape and then stitched me back together in a line that does not pucker or buckle. He really does a nice job. The stitches come out in 3 weeks.

I have regular PET and CT scans. This spot never lit up the scans, so it's definitely new and caught in time.

I'm grateful for the successful outcome, although this second episode is discomforting.

Due to this and other time pressures, I've had to postpone triathlon training for another time. :(

One thing that I want to leave y'all with.............. check yourself out. Not to toot my horn, but to intentionally lay on your hearts and minds, and to thank you ... In both cases, I noticed the suspcious spots before the doctors. I credit this board with the encouragement to advocate for myself. It pays off big time! Thanks for being here! :D

Glad they caught it before it went on to become something else. My dermatologist told me as long as it's just brown, it's ok, but if it changes color it may be cancer. I noticed a spot that became black and purplish (both colors separate) and it was a squamous cell carcinoma. Left a small dent after removal. You may have one, too. As you say, we all should check ourselves and be periodically checked by a dermatologist, as well.

Tom:

Glad your doctor was able to do the excision while anticoagulated.
Am praying that the path report is OK. My supervisor has been there, done that with melanoma. Goes to the dermatologist every 6 mo.

Thanks ya'll.

Thanks for your prayers. Based on the first path report, the excision may have been soley to be 110% sure. You don't get many guarantees in this, but rasing the comfort level is HUGE!

I started with 3 month follow ups and recently went to 6 months. My next vist was to be five years from onset, and I was to yearly follow-ups. When I get the stiitches out, I'll find out my new frequency.

Keep hanging there!

Keep hanging there!

Tommy, my husband had a malignant melanoma removed from his leg just three week before our daughter was born. Excision found no stray cells so no further treatment prescribed. That was almost 26 years ago. With the exception of a couple of skin cancers (basil), he is fine and strapping. That daughter is now on her way to being a doctor considering the maladies her parents have handled. Him the cancer, me the AVR. Good luck and God Bless! Sue:cool:

P.S. I am switching to warfarin next week due to the co-pay. Hope it works--need the extra $$ to help with the medical school!:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back