Excercise

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

akontarinis

Ok, so in addition to walking..what do you all do for excercise?

I have been really getting into hiking and biking. Starting some weight training. Is that considered safe?

Any exercises which we AVR patients should avoid?

Thanks in advance.

Angelo

AVR 11/91
Albany Medical Center, Albany, NY

OK, I'll Answer This One!

OK, I'll Answer This One!

Greetings, akontarinis:

I'm pretty much trying to do a bit of everything (treadmill, rowing machine, a mild weight routine, aerobics, jog/walk, bike, golf, and my favorite which is basketball!). I also enjoy a few 5K events during the summer months and even if you come in last, you still get your name in the paper!

I'm currently working on my 3 pointers and joining the men's 40+basketball league at my health club this winter. They don't offer a 50+! Anyway, I may get a few bruises from this, but I don't expect too much hard-hitting from such a mature(?) crowd. If somebody gives me a bloody nose, I guess I'll have to sit out for awhile.

I requested that I get a stress / echo test a few months ago (14 months post-op. of my dual valve job) and passed it with running colors. I didn't get any specific direction from anyone afterwards, so I guess I'm on my own to do whatever I feel like doing.

You could possibly get a programming session with a personal trainer so you can better define your limits and goals. A previous health club owner did one for me (as part of her new membership package) and I still use her routine even though I have since joined a different club.

My cardiologist says we don't need extra muscle mass, but I don't think it hurts to tone up some.

Have fun!

PerryA

Angelo

Angelo

My docs told me I could do pretty much anything I wanted. Runing, swimming hiking cycling. But, they agreed that heavy weight training was probably not the nest thing, you know that kind of wieght lifting where you are really grunting, that is supposed to put a lot of stress on the aorta.
THere is a guy on here, Ben, who does a lot of weight lifting. He might see this post and give you a better idea of what he does.

I have just started doing a more serious exercise program, walking and cycling. I would jog, but I never see any joggers smiling.

-Mara

Besides lifting/pulling because of our chest, there's probably nothing you can't do. I only do treadmill (I am old!! LOL) and that is ok w/my drs. My drs did not put any restraints on me at all. Think if you go to rehab you will find they work you pretty hard!

hahahaha exercise!

hahahaha exercise!

Well, first I bought "Sweating to the Oldies" thinking that would be an easy work out. Then I bought "Sweating with the Silver Hairs" or something like that. Still too much. Now, I do a ballet barre routine as well as some yoga. Used to do Tai Chi which I loved, but the Teacher moved away. I live on an Island, so those teachers arent so easy to come by! Dont go by my example, Im kinda gimpy.

I lifted weights extensively prior to my surgery and had a long discussion with my surgeon and cardiologist about it after my AVR (12-15-00).
They were mostly concerned that I get enough aerobic exercise. Before surgery I was 75% weight training and 25% aerobic. I now try to balance it 50/50.
My doctors didn't put any limitations on me, but I now try to avoid very heavy lifting that really strains you such as heavy squats. Otherwise I follow my pre-surgical routine which includes bench presses, shoulder presses, etc.
If in doubt ask your doctor.

Marku

I'd like to echo MarkU's sentiments. My doctors told me that I could go back to weight training as long as I make sure to breathe properly. When you hold your breath, or grunt, it places extra stress on the heart and aorta, which is obviously not good. But as long as you make sure that you're breathing properly, and avoid those heavy squats, weights should be a fine addition to your exercise program.

-Freddie 24

What's the quickest (post op) anyone has been told that they had reached their "baseline" (you know, the time when you could consider yourself to be ready to really "go for it" as opposed to merely getting back what surgery took away)?

I still have to remind myself that 3 1/2 weeks ago I underwent major surgery and that chest (incision) discomfort is something I'll have to deal with for quite a while.

I want to start back on the weights, jogging and in-line skating (I'm a roller hockey referee and am really starting to miss it).

Also, how many of you have or are actively taking part in an official cardiac rehab program. Are they necessary? Have they helped?

Thanks

Yes Vote for Re-hab.

Yes Vote for Re-hab.

Geetings, Steve:

I had asked this very same question of my cardiac rehab nurse. She was a former head surgical nurse and told me to expect 6 months for total recovery. Heck, I've heard the aneasthetics (sp?) can take that long to totally wear off!

Then again, this can be quite different for every person.

I was not an exerciser and had a lousy diet at the time of my surgery. So I NEEDED it! Insurance covered the expense and I'm glad I did it. Re-hab started me seriously thinking about my future and joining a health club which I have since done.

In your case, Steve, it sounds like fitness is already part of your life, so perhaps your re-hab will take less time. You may be bored with the techniques in a re-hab class, but look at this way, maybe you'll teach them something!? Re-hab will also help you properly regain strength back. They monitor your every move so you feel somewhat "safe" while regaining your strength. My re-hab class was run by 3 people, one who constantly watched EKG's on computer monitors and a couple of assistants who walked around helping individuals, took blood pressures, etc.

My re-hab "course" also included diet lectures, so I was re-programmed with this information as well.

Perhaps you can get your cardio to give you a stress test soon? This will also give you an indication where you are.

All in all it sounds like you're doing great.

Best of luck.

PerryA

Rehab

Rehab

Steve,

It sounds like you're doing great! If you have to remind yourself that you're only 3 1/2 weeks post-op, you must be healing quite well.

With that said, keep reminding yourself! The question on Cardiac Rehab is a good one. I believe myself that it has been a godsend. I was not a regular exerciser before my surgery, but I sure am now. Like Perry said, you may be slightly bored with rehab, but it's nice to know that someone's watching your EKG as you push that heart rate up.

Aren't you due for a follow up appointment with your Cardiologist soon? If so, as him/her about rehab. Mine wanted me to wait 8 weeks post op before enrolling me in rehab. They'll want you to do a baseline treadmill test before you go into rehab. Then the rehab technicians will set you up with target heart rates for home exercise and at rehab.

As for the weight lifting, according to my surgeon, cardiologist and rehab techs -- NO-- not until 3 months post op. That's none, zip, zilch, nada, zero. That also goes for swimming. Their reasoning is that they want no chance of anything pulling on the sternum. It has something to do with arthritis setting in later if we start stressing the sternum too soon.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Hi Steve,

I think rehab is very lifestyle dependent. I'm a very fit and active person. I was back working out (with my doctors' blessings) about 3 weeks after surgery. This initially basically consisted of riding the stationary bike and power walking on the treadmill. My doctors said that I didn't need cardiac rehab and that I should just start working out on my own but to progress slowly. After six weeks, my doctors told me that I could start some LIGHT weights and stretching just to start getting my joints and muscles back into the swing of things. They said not to start doing anything more that LIGHT weights until 12 weeks post-op to be sure that the sternum had fully healed before putting extra stress on it.

As far as feeling back up to par, I truly felt absolutely fine about 3 weeks afterwards and was really chomping at the bit to get back to the gym. But be sure to get back into it slowly since you don't want to elongate your time out any more than necessary.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone! I'm encouraged. The very best to you all!

Steve

Back