Enlarged left ventricle and aortic stenosis ?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashadds

Hey guys

I am a new member and I have been diagnosed with mild moderate AS, but my left ventricle is moderately enlarged.
LVIDd 6.42 cms
LVIDs 4.2 cms
EF 62%
This was 4 years back and doctor was not at all concerned. I am following up recently this december . I was born with a BAV and aortic stenosis since birth.

I want to put off surgery till my disease is severe at the very least. Have any of had any similar experience ?

Hi ashadds, I don't know what the numbers mean aparts from the ejection fraction which at 62% is good i think, by the time I was picked up for surgery my leakage was severe to eccentric which I understand is pretty bad, my left ventricle was enlarged and stretched from the back pressure, as I understand the more it enlarges the less likely it is to return to normal size after AVR which isn't good, a bit like an over inflated tyre. And I had symptoms for a while but brushed it off, I never expected this outcome.

I believe the heart compensates for the disease up to the point where when you start to notice symptoms it's already really bad, my father has also had AVR and by the time he had his surgery in 1984 I think he was out of puff after walking 10 metres and his heart never returned to normal size. So I think if they tell you need AVR putting it off isn't a good thing, surgery recover and get on with your life :)

Warrick;n870431 said:
Hi ashadds, I don't know what the numbers mean aparts from the ejection fraction which at 62% is good i think, by the time I was picked up for surgery my leakage was severe to eccentric which I understand is pretty bad, my left ventricle was enlarged and stretched from the back pressure, as I understand the more it enlarges the less likely it is to return to normal size after AVR which isn't good, a bit like an over inflated tyre. And I had symptoms for a while but brushed it off, I never expected this outcome.

I believe the heart compensates for the disease up to the point where when you start to notice symptoms it's already really bad, my father has also had AVR and by the time he had his surgery in 1984 I think he was out of puff after walking 10 metres and his heart never returned to normal size. So I think if they tell you need AVR putting it off isn't a good thing, surgery recover and get on with your life :)
Have you had a post-op echo? I've got one next week and I'm dreading it.
I think I might have mild PTSD, from all the poking and prodding.
Didn't know your dad is a valver.

Thanks for your thoughts warrick
Agian, I see you have moderate AS . do you have an enlarged / dilated left ventricle as well ? Did your doctor tell anything about it ?

ashadds;n870447 said:
Thanks for your thoughts warrick
Agian, I see you have moderate AS . do you have an enlarged / dilated left ventricle as well ? Did your doctor tell anything about it ?

I should update my signature. I had my valve replaced in July.
The wall of my ventricle was starting to thicken and my atrium was starting to enlarge.

Agian;n870436 said:
Have you had a post-op echo? I've got one next week and I'm dreading it.
I think I might have mild PTSD, from all the poking and prodding.
Didn't know your dad is a valver.

Yes back on the 21st september, they told me they'd see me again in 5 years time and it looked fine, it was only when I had pre-op for my wire removal I saw the anaesatist that did my first surgery and he told me my enlarged ventricle had returned to normal size and they don't normally do that.
I had PTSD and they sent me to a shrink which sort of helped but I could see it was a bit of going no where so I told them I was fine and got put on mirtazapine and discharged, meant to still be on the mirtazapine but only take it once in a while when feeling ****,
times been the best thing and just doing what I use too beforehand

My Dad had rheumatic fever which stuffed his valve so unrelated to my BAVD but just my luck like father like son

Just let me get my head around this Warrick: You had a follow up echo a year after your surgery and they told you to go back in five years, after that. Five years without seeing a cardiologist is great. I'm not particularly fond of seeing them. Is that standard in NZ?

I'm still a bit emotionally fragile from this heart saga. I get jumpy even thinking about having a blood test.

Coincidence you and your dad both had AVRs for different reasons.

I don't think it's standard I think it's just the fact that I don't have other issues and it all looks good to them, you can't ring them up and make an appointment you have to be summoned or get a referral from a gp.
5 years is a long time for things to go wrong or things to stay right- glass half full or half empty?, I wouldn't want a 5 year warrant of fitness on my car but then some countries have no warrant of fitness at all.
I have a meter and can get warfarin prescriptions without having to see the gp so the less times I see them the better

Latest posts

Back