Enjoying the Sauna

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R&N Brown

I have a quick question for the board;

I am looking for advise as to the use a sauna after a workout. I read or heard somewhere that it can be harmful for a person with a mechanical valve or with high blood pressure.

Any experiences, recommendations?

Rob

I regularly use the sauna after my workouts.. I'm just sure to drink lots of water during and after, which I would do valve or no valve, to keep hydrated. I don't have high blood pressure though, so don't know much about that.

Hello Halley,
Thank you for your reply.

I am pretty sure the caution was more about he high blood pressure side. I really have not had any side effects that I can notice. I am noticeably less sore after a workout when I melt in the sauna for 10 minutes or so before showering.

The folks at the gym may have a little more info. when I go in today I'll try to round up one of the trainers and see what their opinion is.

Again, thank you for your reply.

Rob

I used the sauna and the hot tub at the gym (before DH bought me my own elliptical & weight machine). Just stay hydrated, and watch out for dizziness.

I am noticeably less sore after a workout when I melt in the sauna for 10 minutes or so before showering.

The folks at the gym may have a little more info. when I go in today I'll try to round up one of the trainers and see what their opinion is.

That's a great idea, I know the trainers at my gym are pretty knowlegeable about that stuff. Of course, you can always call you dr. office if you're still nervous. I notice that I am considerably less sore when I sit in the sauna than when I don't, so it's a nice thing to do. Watch for dizziness as others have said. Hope you don't have any problems and are able to enjoy!

Rob, I did a quick check on line, including the American Heart Assoc., and it looks like a sauna at most lowers your BP a bit, like taking a brisk walk. If you can exercize at that pace without any chest pains, then a sauna shold be ok....as always, my disclaimer, check with a medical professional.:)

Hello Tom,

Thanks for the info. Stupid to say but I have never visited the Heart Association web site, you'd think that should have been somewhere on my list!

I appreciate the refrences all have posted here about making sure to stay hydrated, be aware of any dissiness, and be sure not to sweat alone! All good stuff. To cover your disclaimer I will talk to my Cardiologist when I see him in a month. If his interpretation is any different then what has been posted here I will be sure to include it in a thread.

Thanks again for your comments.

Rob

Hi Rob

Before I had surgery I was told by my cardiologist not to use hot tubs or saunas and even no hot baths. So you know what my first question was at my 3 month visit, can I do all those now and he said yes no problem just be careful if you get dizzy just step out. Enjoy!

I am not a Finn, but we are using saunas quite a lot in Sweden as well. What we are saying here is that sauna baths are actually helping lowering the BP due to expansion of the blood vessels.

The more risky part is jumping into frozen water, which we tend to do here winter-time. Except for that it can be hard to land on, the temperature gradient (if there is no ice then) causes a temporary very high blood pressure, not recommended for anyone with aneurysms or dacron grafts probably as well.

Personally I just wait a minute or so in the cold air before jumping in to decrease the immediate shock.

::g

Latest posts

Back